April 26, 2024, 08:00:06 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: AP chemistry lab question  (Read 1772 times)

Offline rudytheduck

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
AP chemistry lab question
« on: March 07, 2018, 10:21:49 PM »
So im doing this lab report on a lab we did on chemical equilibrium. heres some background om the lab. so we used different volumes of two different solutions and mixed them. the solutions were Fe(NO3)3 and KSCN. the Fe solution was 0.200M and the SCN was 0.0020M. after we mixed them, we poured them into a cuvette and placed the cuvette in a colormeter to measure the absorbance of the solution (0 being no absorbance and 1 being no light passes through) I put the data into a graph and found the linear equation for it (y=95.082x+.0543 (the data has a R2 value of .996)). now, there is one of the questions  that im really stuck in. i was missed 2 classes because i was sick, so i missed all the notes and i have no idea how to do this. heres the question:

"(Part II) Use the absorbance values, along with the best fit line equation of the standard solutions in Part I to determine the [FeSCN2+] at equilibrium for each of the mixtures that you prepared in Part II".

I have no idea on how to find the equilibrium constant using this data. How do you find the M of FeSCN2+ with the equation? any help would be appreciated. thank you.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: AP chemistry lab question
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 09:04:04 AM »
Just as an FYI, an absorption (OD value) of 1 does not mean "no light passes through". It means the transmittance is 10%.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links