April 20, 2024, 12:07:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: GC of volatiles  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Cantacoxinha

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
GC of volatiles
« on: March 12, 2018, 06:32:07 AM »
I'm trying to analyze volatile aroma compounds in a fatty sample (edible seeds) on GC-FID, a couple of esters in particular. Preparation of the sample involves finely crushing the seeds + extraction with pentane followed by filtration.

I have developed a method for GC-FID which gives nice peaks of standards and a good correlation, however, when I inject the extract, I get way too many peaks and a noise, proably because of a huge amount of extracted fat and other compounds. The sample even gets cloudy when stored in fridge.

The question is how might I extract or separate the aroma compounds (themselves quite lipophillic) from the fatty matrix, but without losing them? I was considering QuEChERS, but it's useful mostly for analytes very different from the fatty matrix., if I understood well.

Any idea on what could be done here?

No SPME is available in our lab, unfortunately.

Forgot to add: If I try to run SPE of the pentane extract, will it result in loss of volatiles and a wrong quantification later?

Or some other kind of extraction...

Or some kind of extract-preconcentration, but I don't know it rotavaping the extract is useful here, again because of the volatiles loss.. BTW sorry for way too many posts.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 07:16:59 AM by Arkcon »

Offline Elric82

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
Re: GC of volatiles
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 06:24:50 PM »
Maybe this might help: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/0471142913.fag0102s02/abstract

I would have thought such extractions were more effective with hexane.

Edit: that was supposed to be a link. Sorry, but I guess I don’t know how to post links on the forum just yet
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 11:11:00 PM by Arkcon »

Sponsored Links