April 25, 2024, 01:42:59 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Neutralizing phytic acid with baking soda?  (Read 4527 times)

Offline Theoden

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Neutralizing phytic acid with baking soda?
« on: March 17, 2018, 12:06:58 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've been attempting to find a way to rid oats of phytic acid. I've researched such methods online, but would prefer not to turn this vital breakfast component into a slimy mess by soaking it overnight. I've thought about trying to react it with NaCO3, but I fear my intended products could actually be the reactants of the reverse reaction:

C6H18O24P6 + NaCO3   :resonance: NaC6O24P6 + H2CO3 + 8H2 ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 12:22:14 PM by Theoden »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Neutralizing phytic acid with baking soda?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 12:23:05 PM »
Nothing of what you wrote looks correct. If I guess correctly what you are trying to do probably the most important thing is: you can't neutralize a single compound of a mixture without reacting other components as well. That's not how it works.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Theoden

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 12:28:31 PM »
Nothing of what you wrote looks correct. If I guess correctly what you are trying to do probably the most important thing is: you can't neutralize a single compound of a mixture without reacting other components as well. That's not how it works.

Thanks for the reply! But would there still be a way to neutralize (in surety) a quantity of this acid, regardless of whether the method alters the rest of the mixture?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 02:21:15 PM »
But would there still be a way to neutralize (in surety) a quantity of this acid, regardless of whether the method alters the rest of the mixture?

In general you can neutralize every acid, that's almost a definition of what an acid is.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 04:24:21 PM »
Phytic acid is called an acid, and you can neutralize it with the appropriate amount of base.  According to basic chemistry, you plan would produce what would be called sodium phytate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytic_acid

I have to guess, but I'm assuming you want to remove the deleterious effect detailed in Wikipedia by "neutralizing."  I think if you read that article carefully, you'll discover that chemical neutralization of acid groups on a molecule by base is not the same as "neutralizing" a toxin.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Theoden

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 11:02:28 AM »
Phytic acid is called an acid, and you can neutralize it with the appropriate amount of base.  According to basic chemistry, you plan would produce what would be called sodium phytate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytic_acid

I have to guess, but I'm assuming you want to remove the deleterious effect detailed in Wikipedia by "neutralizing."  I think if you read that article carefully, you'll discover that chemical neutralization of acid groups on a molecule by base is not the same as "neutralizing" a toxin.

Thanks! I had actually assumed that changing the structure of phytic acid via chemical bonding would diminish its toxic effect. I did some more research though, and found that turning it into salt form would have no effect on its properties - Oh well.

Would there be a way to chemically restrain a phytate from its effects (absorbing other minerals)?

Sponsored Links