April 25, 2024, 02:51:09 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How do you predict the pH of a substance by looking at it?  (Read 8871 times)

Offline jgaoxx06

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
How do you predict the pH of a substance by looking at it?
« on: June 25, 2006, 04:27:08 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm doing A-level Chemistry Nuffield papers, and I've come across a question about hydroxylamine NH2OH.
The first part says

"Hydroxylamine can be thought of as being derived from ammonia NH3, by the replacement of one hydrogen atom by a hydroxyl, OH, group."

Then it asks to "Draw a 'dot-and-cross' diagram for hydroxylamine, and predict the bond angles", so I've done that, and I think the bond angles are HNH-107 NOH-104.5.

Then it says "What would you expect the pH of an aqueous solution of hydroxylamine to be? Justify your answer and write an equation for the equilibrium reaction between water and hydroxylamine."

Now, for the exam, we are allowed our databooks, so I've looked at the reaction of hydroxylamine with water, found out the pH and equation, but how would you know if something is a strong or weak base without working out the dissociation constant? Is it to do with the attraction of nitrogen atoms to the OH groups? Maybe the attraction between nitrogen and the hydroxyl group is strong, so it will hardly dissociate? But isn't the electron-attracting power of NH2 weaker than the groups Cl, OH and OCH3?

Offline Albert

• Lonely Wanderer
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +112/-22
  • Half Decent Pharmaceutical Chemist
Re: How do you predict the pH of a substance by looking at it?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 06:35:03 AM »
Then it says "What would you expect the pH of an aqueous solution of hydroxylamine to be? Justify your answer and write an equation for the equilibrium reaction between water and hydroxylamine."

Now, for the exam, we are allowed our databooks, so I've looked at the reaction of hydroxylamine with water, found out the pH and equation, but how would you know if something is a strong or weak base without working out the dissociation constant? Is it to do with the attraction of nitrogen atoms to the OH groups? Maybe the attraction between nitrogen and the hydroxyl group is strong, so it will hardly dissociate? But isn't the electron-attracting power of NH2 weaker than the groups Cl, OH and OCH3?

I think the question is just about whether the pH is above, below or equal to 7.

Offline jgaoxx06

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 08:37:59 AM »
But it says to "justify your answer", how could I do that?

Offline Albert

• Lonely Wanderer
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +112/-22
  • Half Decent Pharmaceutical Chemist
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 12:40:22 PM »
I'd just answer:

NH2OH + H2O <=> NH3OH+ + OH-

...but I'd also like to know someone else's opinion about this matter.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 01:40:54 AM »
Hydroxylamine is basic, the question is whether it is more basic or less basic then ammonia , and explanation of this  property.
AWK

Offline webqc.org

• Mole Snacks: +2/-3
    • Cool Chemical Portal
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 12:25:38 PM »
Hydroxylamine is basic, the question is whether it is more basic or less basic then ammonia , and explanation of this  property.
It sould be less basic than ammonia, since we've replaced -H with electronegative -OH.
And in fact it is less basic: Kb(HONH2)=1.1e-8 vs. Kb(NH3)=1.8e-5

Sponsored Links