April 25, 2024, 06:43:04 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chelating potential of a solution  (Read 2604 times)

Offline 2min2midnight

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chelating potential of a solution
« on: April 03, 2018, 03:17:00 AM »
Hello all,

I have a mixture that contains different organic chelating agents. I am trying to run a Fenton oxidation for COD reduction. Problem is that chelating agents remove the iron from the catalytic circle. To overcome that figured that I first have to determine how much chelating "power" the solution has, add that much iron, then add extra for the Fentons reaction.

If anyone has any suggestions how to go about this I would be very grateful. The uni has a very strong laboratory so I can attempt differenty analytical methods.

Thanks again!

Offline franz1973

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Chelating potential of a solution
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 07:09:05 AM »
At work I have to detrmine "sequestering power" on detergents. I do this way: weigh about 1g of the substance (write the weight) then add about 80ml of distilled water (just to dilute a little) and 10ml of Na2CO3 2% solution. This way you are in excess of carbonate ions. Add drop by drop a solution of Calcium Acetate 44,1g/l while stirring. CaCO3 starts to precipitate but dissolves as the detergen sequesters calcium. Stop when you see turbidity no more disappear. So calculate the "power" by this formula

POWER=(CaAc ml used / g of substance) x 25

This gives to you the mg of CaCO3 captured (dissolved) by your product
I don't understand the formula and the method is subjective but I have no other ways

Sponsored Links