April 25, 2024, 10:16:52 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Calculating volumes for buffer components with no given concentration  (Read 2030 times)

Offline callumtp

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hey,

I have a question a given solution but i don't understand how it was obtained. The only methods I can find have the concentration of the buffer solution given. We have been taught how to deal with this when the concentrations are the same (for the acetic acid and NaOH), but I am struggling as the concentrations of these solutions are different. I'm a little lost

Thanks in advance.

Offline callumtp

Re: Calculating volumes for buffer components with no given concentration
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 06:19:54 AM »
oops. forgot the scanner saved as pdf by default. Here's the image of my working incase it's a pain. PS: it's just a follow up quiz not the assignment component, the name came from the previous scan.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 12:39:46 PM »
Not sure what your problem is, as you wrote n=CV on the side of the scan - that (plus HH equation) is all that you need in order to solve the problem, you need just a small modifications of the process. Final volume is sum of volumes (which actually doesn't matter, but may help you).

It is just about stoichiometry and assuming reaction went to completion.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline callumtp

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 06:32:15 PM »
I feel a little stupid. the error was in using the incorrect value for the concentration of acetic acid. Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links