April 26, 2024, 03:39:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Sodium Clorite plus Sodium Carbonate  (Read 3503 times)

Offline quiminoob

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Sodium Clorite plus Sodium Carbonate
« on: April 05, 2018, 03:11:18 PM »
Dear forum,

I have a question about the reaction betwen Sodium Carbonate (NaCO3) and Sodium Chlorite (NaClO2) it is suposed that this reaction will generate Chlorine dioxide (ClO2), but when i mix these two compouns a precipitade apears. I dont have any idea about what compound is formed because both reagents and products shoul be soluble.
So hope that someone can help me with the reaction  :'(.

NaClO2 + NaCO3  :rarrow: ???

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Sodium Clorite plus Sodium Carbonate
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 04:42:52 PM »
it is suposed that this reaction will generate Chlorine dioxide (ClO2)

Any rationale behind? My gut instinct is no reaction.

Your sodium carbonate formula is wrong.

If you get a precipitate, most likely one of the compounds is not what you think it is, or is heavily contaminated.

Somehow I have a feeling you have no idea what you are doing :(
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline quiminoob

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 09:38:36 AM »
I agree with u Borek, indeed the formula is Na2CO3. I also think that there is no reaction, at first I believed the ClO2 will be formed by the solubilization of the NaClO2, but to form the ClO2 is necessary to add an acid to the solution xd.
Thank you verry much Borek :)
But I am still lost about the precipitate : - \. It is not possible the contaminated compounds, cause i Have the analisys certificates. What i thing is that the solution is oversaturated. So i need your help again, do i have to take into account the effect of the common ion in this system Na2CO3 / NaClO2 ???

*MOD Edit -- remove quote of a quote* 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 10:05:54 AM by Arkcon »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 10:17:10 AM »
Hi there, quiminoob:, all of us here are glad to help any chemist get their work done.  But so far, this thread has almost no information that is useful.

For starters, please don't quote a previous post if you don't need to highlight something in that post.  This forum is threaded, that information is already there.  And if your quote contains another quote of a post that you made yourself first, then you're clearly not trying to use the quote to highlight anything.  That's just lengthening the thread without need.  That is poor netiquette.

Carbonate and bicarbonate are alkaline in water, not acidic, so won't release ClO2.  Just saying twice that it will won't change our understanding of chemistry.  If I wanted a weak acid, I'd use NaHSO4 -- that's a weak acid.

You could use this as a paste to make bleaching gas, or as a dilute enough solution for disinfecting.  If they're too concentrated, then yes you may get a precip from common ion effect.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline quiminoob

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 10:42:51 AM »
Hello Arkon,

thanks, u really helped me :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 12:53:29 PM »
I believed the ClO2 will be formed by the solubilization of the NaClO2

ClO2 and ClO2- are very different things.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links