April 18, 2024, 10:21:02 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Unknown Salt/H2O2 reaction solid precipitates  (Read 2404 times)

Offline iexpress

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Unknown Salt/H2O2 reaction solid precipitates
« on: April 13, 2018, 10:41:43 AM »
Hello everyone.

While doing some experiments comparing reactions between NaCl+H2O2 and CaCl+H2O2, I noticed the NaCl didn't produce an exothermic reaction while the CaCl+H2O2 reaction did.

After creating maximum saturated solutions. I poured each Solution into three separate cups of their own for a total of six containers  to react with Copper, Zinc and Aluminim.

The reactions were similar and I kept the solid metal in the container until all the bubbling stopped.

The NaCl+H2O2 solution precipitated a crystallized compound that formed and floated to the surface when evaporating the liquids on a hot plate, while the CaCl+H2O2 solution formed a solid precipitate in the container at room temperature but no real evident compounds suspended in the solutions.

While trying to balance equations multiple ways, I'm still having trouble understanding what the solid precipitates that formed are as I can't find any resembling images between oxides, chlorides, or hydroxides that match in shape or color for the material my solutions are creating.

A common characteristic is that they appear light blue when dehydrated after boiling down the mixtures, but seem to rehydrate themselves grabbing moisture from the air while leaving no evident chloride.

The NaCl+H2O2+metal reactions produced no solid precipitate until being boiled down, while the CaCl+H2O2+metal reactions did at room temperature.

My question would be, what are the solid precipitates that formed in the CaCl+H2O2, H2O2+solid metal solutions be? And what would the solid precipitate of NaCl+H2O2 be?

Could this be a catalyst perhaps that speeds up the formation of a metal salt?

Thank you for your help.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Unknown Salt/H2O2 reaction solid precipitates
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 01:17:37 PM »
The reactions were similar and I kept the solid metal in the container until all the bubbling stopped.

The NaCl+H2O2 solution precipitated a crystallized compound

Just NaCl+H2O2? Or one that already reacted with e metal? If so - which metal?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links