March 28, 2024, 11:24:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Acidity rankings and aldol condensation practice: Have I done this right?  (Read 1759 times)

Offline thescepticalchymist

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
My professor gave us this sheet (https://i.imgur.com/SAbPCX5.jpg) to work on yesterday. 

I'm pretty confident about my ranking of the acidity of the compounds, and I think I'm right about the aldol condensation mechanism -- please correct me if there are mistakes! 

On the other hand, I'm not sure where to start with #2.  It looks like an aldol cyclization, since the product has the alkene and the C=O in conjugation, but I am not 100% sure about what the starting material or the mechanism would be.  I at least know that the starting material is going to be a chain containing two enolizable carbonyl groups, but I need to know the correct answer because my prof. is definitely going to quiz us on this next class.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 12:53:16 PM by DiethylEtherIsCute »

Offline pgk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +97/-24
1). If you have acidic conditions, you don’t need the base B:, erase it immediately, because it is a serious mistake. Just continue by drawing an acidic dehydration and that’s all.
2). Try a retro-synthesis and go back:
2-Cyclohexenone ←  3-hydroxy-cyclohexanone ← ? (= a six member aliphatic aldehyde containing a ketone group at the end.)
3). Ignore the methoxide catalysis for the moment. But for your own and further information, this reaction involves a cyclization step that has a higher activation energy and therefore, strong catalysis is needed. On the other hand, strong basic conditions avoid the simultaneous double aldolization of a ketone by an aldehyde, contrary to strong acidic conditions that favor it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 02:10:24 PM by pgk »

Offline crawlingmcedge

• Mole Snacks: +5/-0
I'll assume that you know what an elimination reaction is. What functional groups can be eliminated to turn to alkenes? Where would that functional group be placed in on that ring?

Sponsored Links