April 17, 2024, 11:38:26 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: sugar...salt  (Read 5413 times)

bbrotherbill

sugar...salt
« on: August 29, 2004, 03:01:20 PM »
I have mixed them together.... HELP !!!!! I need to seperate them back out again.... how can I do it?

budullewraagh

Re:sugar...salt
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2004, 03:11:54 PM »
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

just so i know how to advise you, is it alright if you change the sugar and/or salt to other compounds?

Limpet Chicken

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2004, 03:24:50 PM »
Now now, let's not bee TOO suspicious of people;D

PM me and I'll see what I can find 8)

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 12:30:01 PM »
sugar and salt.. do both of them dissolve in ethanol?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 12:57:41 PM »
Sugar and salt have two VASTLY different solubilities in water.  At 20 degrees Celcius, 203.9 grams of sugar will dissolve in 100 grams of water, while only 35.9 grams of NaCl will dissolve in 100 grams of water.  So if you were to slowly evaporate the solution, the NaCl will ppt out MUCH sooner than the sugar will as the amount of water dissipates.  With both of these solutes, their solubility increases as you heat up the water, so you could also heat the solution along to increase the solubility and remove the water quicker.  As it cools, the NaCl will ppt out.  Then you can just filter the solution and the filtrate will contain the sugar.  Just repeat this process a large number of times, and you'll eventually separate the two solutes.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Sponsored Links