April 18, 2024, 11:20:56 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Questions regarding synthesis of an intermediate to Practolol  (Read 2570 times)

Offline spankytank

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi!
I have a couple of questions regarding the synthesis of an intermediate (4) to Practolol.
I've attached a picture of the reaction-scheme. (If not, it can be seen here,   https://imgur.com/ZT4TWdo  )

1) In step 1, when the alkoxide (1 equivalent of NaOH used to generate alkoxide) reacts with epichlorohydrin (2), the formation of 3a is greater than 3b when we add more equivalents of epichlorohydrin (2). I ran the reaction with 2 equivalents of 2 and another one with 10 equivalents of 2, and the reaction with 10 equivalents of 2 gave more 3a. Why is this? What kind of stabilizing effects can explain this?

2) In step 2 the epoxide ring-opening with the use of acetyl chloride + water (which forms acetic acid and hydrochloric acid) reacts better than if I just add pure hydrochloric acid. Again, why is this? Some sort of stabilizing effects from water?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 12:29:21 PM by spankytank »

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: Questions regarding synthesis of an intermediate to Practolol
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 01:34:25 PM »
for 2) What do you mean add pure HCl? The gas? or 12 M solution, which is still about 65% water.

Offline spankytank

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 01:44:02 PM »
Oh yeah, my bad. Meant to say stabilizing effect from the acetic acid.

Offline pgk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +97/-24
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 02:22:09 PM »
1). This is a question of chemical kinetics. Both reactions occur simultaneously but by adding more equivalents of epichlorhydrine, you favor the formation of 3a, because:
u = k[alkoxide]10[epichlorhydrine] > k[alkoxide]2[epichlorhydrine] > k[alkoxide][epichlorhydrine]
Note that 3a and 3b have different rate constants of formation.
2). HCl is a gas and thus, it will quickly evaporate before opening the oxirane ring. Contrary controlled hydrolysis of acetyl chloride will slowly release HCl in situ, during the progress of the reaction that gives the necessary time to react.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 02:46:50 PM by pgk »

Offline spankytank

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 01:40:50 PM »
2) When using purely HCl I'm adding it in excess, so that can't be the (only) reason.

Offline pgk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +97/-24
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 10:25:20 AM »
“ …’acetyl chloride + water’ reacts better than hydrochloric acid” does not obligatory mean that (concentrated?) hydrochloric acid does not work at all.

Sponsored Links