April 25, 2024, 01:06:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Cracking of Dicyclopentadiene to Cyclopentadiene  (Read 9663 times)

Offline dolphinsea14

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Cracking of Dicyclopentadiene to Cyclopentadiene
« on: April 24, 2018, 12:41:13 PM »
Hi everyone,
I am synthesizing ferrocene, for that purpose I need cyclopentadiene. I have a question and would be very thankful if you could help me.
Can cracking and distillation of dicyclopentadiene to cyclopentadiene be done without nitrogen atmosphere?
Thanks in advance :)

Offline pgk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +97/-24
Re: Cracking of Dicyclopentadiene to Cyclopentadiene
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 01:13:41 PM »
Yes, you can but it is not recommended for safety reasons.
1). Both dicyclopentadiene and cyclopentadiene are highly flammable.
2). Besides, the high distillation temperature favors their oxidation in air and will decrease the distillation yield.

Offline dolphinsea14

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 01:41:36 PM »
Yeah, I know that it can be dangerous, but I had no idea how much. We don't have nitrogen at university, that's why I asked if it could be done without it.
Thank you very much :)

Offline dolphinsea14

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 01:46:44 PM »
Can you suggest good way to synthesize nitrogen for inert atmosphere, and dry it?
I was thinking about using gas bubbler containing concentrated sulfuric acid, will it be enough to get clean and dry nitrogen? Or can it be done using silica gel?  Is there another way it could be done? (I have no much experience I'm doing a synthesis on my own for the first time, I had to design it myself, please help...)

Offline pgk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +97/-24
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 01:54:12 PM »
No, don’t do that. You are going to combine a dangerous technique with another and more dangerous one.
Alternatively, you can distill small amounts of dicyclopentadiene, in the lab fume with a closed safety screen and under adequate ventilation.
But take care and pay attention for any ignition source, nearby.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 02:23:59 PM by pgk »

Offline dolphinsea14

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 02:04:15 PM »
So there is no way I can synthetize nitrogen and conduct it in the destillation apparatus? This is how it should look like...

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 02:11:48 PM »
Try to get a small tank of clean, dry nitrogen.  It is literally cheaper than air.  That's not a joke, they will actually sell you a tank of nitrogen for less than a tank of air; economy of scale, demand and supply, etc.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline dolphinsea14

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 02:31:45 PM »
Yeah, that would be great, but I can't buy it, I am a student at college, in country like ours finding and buying chemicals as student, is not that simple. It's a bit complicated...
However, I need a way to synthesize nitrogen and conduct it. Buying is not an option.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 03:30:05 PM »
If you are doing it as a part of your course it is not up to you to buy the chemicals, it is up to the school to provide you with the necessary reagents and hardware. Have you talked with your supervisor?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 03:48:59 PM »
You could also get another school to lend you a nitrogen generator, basically a system that pulls air over an oxygen consuming reagent and gives you clean dry nitrogen.

When a chemist needs nitrogen, they get it from a tank or the atmosphere.  Finding the most energetic nitrogenous compound, and decomposing it, carefully, to get nitrogen gas is beating a wasp's nest with a stick because you need a sheet of paper.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline dolphinsea14

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 04:05:32 PM »
Yes, of course I talked to my supervisor and to the lab assistant. I asked for nitrogen. They said I will have to synthesize it, because we don't have nitrogen.

Offline dolphinsea14

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 04:11:18 PM »
I know Arkcon, that's true, I totally agree, but unfortunately things in Macedonia don't work that way. It's a bit  silly, they ask us to make something, don't have all the necessary stuff, so we have to make our own solutions, find alternatives. Sad, but true.

Offline clarkstill

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-4
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2018, 03:57:03 AM »
Finding the most energetic nitrogenous compound, and decomposing it, carefully, to get nitrogen gas is beating a wasp's nest with a stick because you need a sheet of paper.

that is an outstanding metaphor

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 04:59:24 AM »
Could clean argon be easier to find in your university? It serves for welding.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2018, 01:52:06 PM »
Purposefully generating nitrogen from a solid is reasonably similar to setting off an explosive on purpose. Have you heard of ammonium nitrate or azide explosions? Those are examples of generating nitrogen from a solid.

We aren't trying to pile on, we are just telling you, with the weight of decades of experience among the respondents, that it is very very dangerous to try to make nitrogen in situ like that, and finding nitrogen already in gas form is so much easier and better in every single way. Argon would work too.

Do you have a biology department? They often use liquid nitrogen. If you can get that you can get some you can add it in small amounts to an attached container and it should supply N2 to a reaction. It sure is more cumbersome than just a tank. OR you may be able to charge a gas tank off the liquid nitrogen container.

Heres an odd angle that I can't find a counterargument to aside from price. What about helium? They have it in party stores. You could buy a whole bunch of balloons...please shoot me down if I'm missing something obvious.

Another note about the sulfuric acid bubbler: that removes water, not O2 which is what you are trying to exclude.

Sponsored Links