April 26, 2024, 02:53:03 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Can I use a camping stove instead of a bunsen burner?  (Read 5411 times)

Offline TC

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Can I use a camping stove instead of a bunsen burner?
« on: May 04, 2018, 07:02:15 PM »
My niece and I would like to do a chemistry experiment which requires a burner to heat up the contents of a test tube. I don't own a bunsen burner, but I do own a small backpacking stove. Will that work?

My instinct is that the camping stove will not work because it is designed to distribute the heat over a wider area than a bunsen burner. However, I figured I'd check here and see if anyone has tried it.

-TC

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re: Can I use a camping stove instead of a bunsen burner?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 08:28:36 PM »
I haven't tried it, but it should work.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 10:03:29 PM »
Its a fair option, it really depends on what you want to do.  Consider, if you have to gently heat a small test tube -- make a water bath:  Put a large beaker (glass Mason jar, whatever) of water on the camp stove, then hold the test tube in the boiling water.

Note: any glassware, even if its pyrex or the like, will need some sort of diffuser between open flame and the glass.  Or use some metal campware for the water bath. Or a sand bath for higher temperatures.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline TC

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 11:46:24 AM »
Arkcon,

I understand your suggestion for a water or sand bath in a metal container. However, you also mentioned a "diffuser". What is that?

-TC

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 12:04:17 PM »
Don't put glass, even Pyrex or Kimax or other "oven safe" glass where an open flame can lick it.  It can still shatter.  More so now, given that the common flame-proof glass sold in stores isn't even borosilicate, just tempered soda-lime. 

(I just learned that today.  Sheesh.  Hellinahandbasket whyinmyday getoffamylawn...) http://www.cooksinfo.com/pyrex

A diffuser is a piece of metal between the flame and the glass.  http://www.cooksinfo.com/heat-diffuser
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 06:14:17 PM »
As a side note but pertinent to the discussion
Cautionary tale
Long ago
It did not go well when I applied the flame from
Bernzomatic UL100 Basic Propane
plumbers torch directly to a test tube.

Offline Hacktacular

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 11:01:29 AM »
And just to reiterate what's been said albeit belatedly...
The diffuser is definitely a good move.  I once heated pyrex over my kitchen gas stove without anything to diffuse the flame.  The explosion of glass throughout the room was impressive (as was the size of the shards I spent the next few hours pulling from my arms).  It's been said many many times in a variety of forums, but DO NOT HEAT GLASSWARE DIRECTLY!  Even the best stuff isn't designed for that kind of abuse.

Offline pcm81

• Mole Snacks: +12/-3
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 06:39:05 PM »
You got to be careful with intensity of the flame. Looong ago bunsen burners used alcohol. Now you have propane ones. The temperature that propane can reach, especially in "properly oxygenated" flame is much higher than alcohol could ever hope to achieve. Alcohol was wicked up from the flask, so it was a low intensity flame. You CAN melt glassware on propane flame, which you could not do on alcohol flame. Yeah yeah, i know if you spray ethanol under pressure into oxygen rich environment it can get hot enough to melt glass, but that is not how bunsen burners worked. If you are set on using propane stove, i'd suggest a low pressure stove, not a high pressure stove, the low pressure ones have less BTUs, hence will less likely get glassware hot enough to melt. Propane torch is high pressure.

Sponsored Links