April 26, 2024, 06:38:29 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Organometallic palladium catalytic cycle  (Read 1414 times)

Offline ExquisiteOwl

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Organometallic palladium catalytic cycle
« on: May 08, 2018, 10:48:31 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm trying to work out the mechanism of this reaction but can't seem to get past the first step. It's mainly the 2 acetate groups attached to the catalyst that are confusing me. I can't figure out if they fall off at the start of the catalytic cycle to give Pd(0) or if they remain intact and are used in the reaction. I've found a similar mechanism online where the catalyst used lacks the 2 acetate groups.

Would really appreciate any help.

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
Re: Organometallic palladium catalytic cycle
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 01:12:04 AM »
i They do play a role in the reaction because they can deprotonate palladium hydrido species, for example. But Pd(OAc)2 would probably perform the same as PdCl2. It's just a starting material, and they meant we added a ligand+Pd(OAc)2 as a solution or solids. It's the precatalyst.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 05:07:09 AM »
Does not CO reduce Pd(2) to Pd(0)?

Offline ExquisiteOwl

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 08:29:05 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I've figured out that the OAc groups fall off and the reaction does proceed via the mechanism I posted. I read a paper that stated that the reaction mainly occurred through the [Pd]-H pathway, rather than the [Pd]-OMe. Does anyone have any clue as to how the active catalyst ([Pd]-H) is generated? I was thinking that maybe an oxidative addition reaction occurred with methanol at the methyl group C-H bond, but I'm not sure if this is possible.

Sponsored Links