April 23, 2024, 10:10:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Molecular Symmetry - Cyclodextrin Raman Question  (Read 3431 times)

Offline xilus1

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Molecular Symmetry - Cyclodextrin Raman Question
« on: May 10, 2018, 03:22:10 AM »
I need some help with this question:

Why do the cyclic oligosaccharides alpha-, beta- and gamma-cyclodextrin exhibit an identical number of Raman-active vibrational coordinates? How would their measured Raman spectra look when compared?

I don't really know where to start. I know that a,b, g -CD belong to the C6, C7 and C8 point groups respectively and that they share the same raman-active modes (indicated by the quadratic functions in the character table) but I can't rationalize it.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Molecular Symmetry - Cyclodextrin Raman Question
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 10:03:56 AM »
Big molecules - most of their vibrational modes will be localized, such that the overall molecular symmetry won't matter a whole lot. Apparently there are delocalized ring modes as well. Since the symmetry classes are more or less identical, the activity of those modes across the series should also be more or less identical. I would expect the energy of that vibration to change slightly as the ring size is increased, but apparently the difference is not large.

As to what the spectra look like, here you go:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0957416600805376
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline xilus1

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Molecular Symmetry - Cyclodextrin Raman Question
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 09:20:50 AM »
Thank you very much! I'm on the right track now and that paper was very helpful.

Sponsored Links