April 26, 2024, 04:30:12 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: General Lewis Dot Structure resources  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Manuel8864

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
General Lewis Dot Structure resources
« on: May 11, 2018, 12:33:00 AM »
Is there a nice place that has High School/Chem 1A Lewis Dot structure practice problems, with solutions, that follow the most stable resonance structures? From talking to a mentor that already passed O Chem, he told me that Lewis Dot Structures seem to fizzle away, and the main focus is Line-Angle Formulas. That's nice, but I need to really practice Lewis Structures, and my Chem 1A professor never gives any problems practiced in class and or in the textbook just to throw a curve ball at us. I am at a point to where I want to practice all of the HS/College Chem 1A.

I have a tutor with a doctorate in Chem, and he seems to always brush my Chem 1A class as a simple HS course, and I "shouldn't get too wound up on this class" and always says this is HS level material. I am 8 years removed from HS due to military service, and just wondering if there is a nice website with the most commonly asked Lewis Dot Structures that follow the resonance theory and formal bonds taken into consideration, and the hybrid, if any.

Thank you for your time and help.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: General Lewis Dot Structure resources
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 05:54:54 AM »
Can we assume you tried GOOGLE
lewis dot structures practice
lewis structure worksheet with answers

Offline Manuel8864

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 01:11:29 PM »
I did, I found about 30, which is a good start. I was asking because if there isn't a website that exists, I would like to accumulate my list so far and put something up for the future generation. If it exists already, I would practice what I haven't encountered so far between my textbook, class, and google. Is being smug a requirement to post on this board?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 09:37:42 PM »
...if there isn't a website that exists, I would like to accumulate my list so far and put something up for the future generation...
A praiseworthy goal

By the way
I personally would not expect a Tutor to be that dismissive.

Based now on what has been said so far
Maybe someone will understand the point where you are at to give you the appropriate help.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 09:43:02 PM »
I just did another GOOGLE on

lewis structure calculator
lewis structure simulator

See what you think of them.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 11:05:08 AM »
Lewis dot structures typically give way to bond-line structures (this may be the same thing as "Line-Angle" structures, but I am not sure) in the first semester of organic chemistry.  However, that is a difference in notation, not a difference in basic approach.  Therefore, studying the principles of writing good Lewis structures makes sense IMO.

Sponsored Links