April 18, 2024, 06:14:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help with stoicheometry...  (Read 3840 times)

Offline Ben04

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Help with stoicheometry...
« on: May 11, 2018, 10:52:01 AM »
Hello,

so I have been trying to calculate the mass of hydrochloric acid needed to produce calcium chloride from calcium carbonate.

I have a solution of 30% hydrochloric acid and a 10g of CaCO3, how much acid do I need to react with the CaCO3? And how can one convert the calculated mass of HCl needed into volume (room temperature)?

Thanks in advance :)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Help with stoicheometry...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 11:33:07 AM »
The first thing you need is to draw a balanced chemical equation.  You need this to visualize what's happening.  Maybe you can guess the ratios of reactants to products, but you still need to write the reaction out.

You've realized that you have lots of work to do.  You know you have to convert grams of carbonate into moles, so work on that.  But,  you're correct, your liquid, at 30%, will require multiple conversions to match.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Ben04

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 12:14:47 PM »
Thank you for the quick response!

I'm asking this question not for anything school related, I just have a huge interest in chemistry ;)

The reaction is : CaCO₃(s) + 2HCl(aq) → CaCl₂(aq) + CO₂(g) + H₂O(l).

The reason I'm asking this question is that I cannot figure out how to calculate the volume of 30% HCl needed...

Say the density of a 30% HCl is 1.15 g/ml

I know how to calculate the mass of HCl needed, but how do you factor in that the HCl is in a solution of x amount of water? Am I overthinking?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 12:20:19 PM »
First, based on your 10 grams of calcium carbonate, you need to calculate how much mass (or moles, really) of HCl you need theoretically to react with that based on your equation. Then you need to use the concentration of HCl* to determine how much HCl to add.

*Do you have an idea of what 30% HCl means? You'll need to convert that into a molarity.
Bear in mind that this will be a theoretical value. Reactions don't typically go to 100% completion, and time is a factor as well, as is overall concentration of reagents. If you want to really get close to 100% conversion, it is typical to use your driving reagent in large excess, and do your reaction in a reasonably small amount of volume.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 11:34:08 AM »
When I set up problems like this, I explicitly use units cancellation.  I refer to one substance as pure X and the other one as a solution of X.

Sponsored Links