March 28, 2024, 02:33:35 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Interraction between Nitromethane and Polyimide  (Read 2607 times)

Offline CButler

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Interraction between Nitromethane and Polyimide
« on: May 11, 2018, 05:51:45 PM »
We have a glass fiber coated with a polyimide buffer, we need to clean off some residual adhesive using Nitromethane. I want to make sure the buffer is not affected.  I have attempted to find an answer on the internet with no success.  Any input is greatly appreciated!

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: Interraction between Nitromethane and Polyimide
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 07:41:14 PM »
Without knowing which polyimide its very difficult to even guess, let alone research the topic.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Interraction between Nitromethane and Polyimide
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 04:39:02 PM »
The search key expression is
"materials compatibility list"
you enter the name of your polyimide with that, or even better, you find this list at the manufacturer's documentation, for instance on his website.

There, Kapton is listed (DuPont's name for their polyimide)
https://www.masterflex.de/fileadmin/user_upload/SE_Website/Produkte/Masterflex_ChemicalResistance_EN.pdf
no data for nitromethane (written nitro-methane there) but excellent resistance against nitropropane and nitrobenzene.

This one tells "excellent resistance" for nitromethane on Torlon
https://books.google.de/books?id=hs6ACwAAQBAJ&pg=PA368&lpg=PA368&dq=Kapton+nitromethane+compatibility&source=bl&ots=YPSGK4J7DU&sig=8wDlTYgDTlO2BhKuV3oIA8Nn3jY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJ6Nf3hYbbAhXDZ1AKHb_OB_wQ6AEITzAD#v=onepage&q=Kapton%20nitromethane%20compatibility&f=false

What I like less: nitromethane is an explosive and some additives make it sensitive to shocks.

Sponsored Links