April 23, 2024, 06:26:31 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Copper electroplating and the voltage used during the reaction  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Pedalstream811

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi guys, so my question is about what voltage i should use during a copper electroplating experiment. I read somewhere that if the voltage is too high, then impurities will start to react with the other substances. So therefore, at what point does this start to happen and can someone explain to me more the details of the entire process?

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: Copper electroplating and the voltage used during the reaction
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 09:49:37 AM »
The voltage is not the key, the current or better the the current density is the parameter you have to choose. Common current densities are 20 Asf or ~ 2 A/dmĀ².

So you need the surface of your part, what will be electroplated. If you know it you can calculate the current with the given current density.

Your rectifier must be one to set a constant current not constant voltage. It will be set to the current , the voltage will automatically given by the law of Ohm.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 04:18:05 PM »
At least at the beginning, the voltage depends on the metal to be plated with copper. On iron you need no electricity.

Keep little voltage (1V ? Less?) above the minimum that lets current flow, just to maintain the current. A higher voltage creates unwanted reactions.

If you need a faster deposition rate, as electrolytic processes tend to be slow, increase the concentration of the solution and the area of the electrode.

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 11:00:00 AM »
For this reason I told, a rectifier with a constant current device is used in the plating industry.
Also for iron you need current if you want to get a thickness. Otherwise it is immerson copper and the reaction stops, after the iron is covered with a thin copper layer.

Sponsored Links