March 28, 2024, 06:05:58 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to complete oxidization/redox related equation  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Slntreaper

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How to complete oxidization/redox related equation
« on: May 16, 2018, 11:39:26 PM »
Equation is C6H8O6 + H2O2 + K3Fe(CN)6 + Fe0 + NaCl

This is an oxidization/redox equation, and we have confirmed that Fe2+ has been made. 

Also this is my first post, so if I'm doing something incorrectly I apologize in advance.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: How to complete oxidization/redox related equation
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 04:40:40 AM »
It is a forum policy that you have to show your attempts to receive help.

We can only guess what C6H8O6 is.

Looks like there are several possible processes here. Can you start by listing things that can be oxidized? Reduced?

If you have confirmed Fe2+ was produced you probably did some experiment - can you describe it? Every bit of information can be important.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Slntreaper

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: How to complete oxidization/redox related equation
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 10:29:53 AM »
It is a forum policy that you have to show your attempts to receive help.

We can only guess what C6H8O6 is.

Looks like there are several possible processes here. Can you start by listing things that can be oxidized? Reduced?

If you have confirmed Fe2+ was produced you probably did some experiment - can you describe it? Every bit of information can be important.

Sorry, I am a new poster here.  I have tried setting the equation to C6H8O6 + H2O2 + K3Fe(CN)6 + Fe0 + NaCl :rarrow: Fe2++ + 2e- + C6H8O6 + H2O2 + K3Fe(CN)6 + NaCl, but that didn't seem correct because the ascorbic acid and the hydrogen peroxide should have reacted with the iron.  The only other possible equation would be C6H8O6 + H2O2 + K3Fe(CN)6 + Fe0 + NaCl :rarrow: Fe+2 + Na2O + HCl + 2e-, but that also probably isn't correct because that would just be a combination of the results of Fe0 + NaCl + H2O2 and Fe0 + NaCl + C6H8O6.

I am fairly sure but not 100% positive that the Fe was oxidized. 

C6H8O6 is Ascorbic Acid.  What happened during the lab procedure is that we added 1 drop of K3Fe(CN)6 (an indicator that turns blue upon the presence of Fe2+) and 9 drops of salt water (Yes, we know that the measurement is fairly inaccurate but my teacher did not give us anything more precise to work with).  Then, we added an iron nail into this solution, before adding 2 drops of hydrogen peroxide and what I can only assume is 1 teaspoon of ascorbic acid (again, my teacher wasn't very exact on measurements this lab for whatever reason).  We waited for 20 minutes while watching the indicator (K3Fe(CN)6) turn blue, indicating the presence of Fe2+.  And that's pretty much the entire lab procedure.

Please tell me if I am missing additional information.

Sponsored Links