April 25, 2024, 04:08:01 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Fatty acid platinum salts  (Read 4016 times)

Online Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Fatty acid platinum salts
« on: May 18, 2018, 11:48:04 AM »
Friends:
I'm looking to manufacture a lipophilic platinum salt, like this one:

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/22182901#section=Top

Any fatty acid salt with a reasonably long hydrophobic tail will do. However I haven't had much luck finding any procedures or even commercial vendors, although the compound apparently exists. Any ideas?
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: Fatty acid platinum salts
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 01:55:29 PM »
Anion exchange resin charged with the fatty acid salt, then add a platinum salt? Do you want Pt(II) or Pt(IV)?

The IV salts seem more soluble. PtBr4 is a little soluble in water. It looks like chloride and bromide salts of Pt(II) are only soluble in acids and ammonia. While I couldn't find anything in a quick look, maybe the iodide has water or alcohol solubility. I wish I had a quick answer but I couldn't find a good solid alcohol soluble Pt salt at a quick glance, but if you find one then anion exchange resin should work great.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 02:02:59 PM »
All the values I saw were at 20°C, maybe boiling (degassed) water would change the story for PtBr2 and the like.

Online Corribus

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 02:34:34 PM »
I'm basically looking to get platinum well dispersed in a hydrophobic medium. The form of platinum doesn't really matter to me, as long as it will disperse reasonably well. This is why I was thinking fatty acid salt (e.g., like, metal stearate).
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 03:57:32 PM »
Ah. Well Pt(IV)Cl4 is soluble in acetone and water. You could anion exchange that.

Or sigma sells Trimethyl(methylcyclopentadienyl)platinum(IV), I'm sure that's soluble on toluene.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 03:59:37 PM »
I think one might prefer to use a polysaccharide-based ion-exchange gel, not a polystyrene-based one.  I would imagine that there would be too much hydrophobic interaction with the latter.  I don't have specific experience, however.

Online Corribus

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 04:00:28 PM »
Forgive me - I've never used an ion exchange resin to do something like this before. Could you walk me through how you would do this, generally speaking?

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 12:42:04 AM »
Take some resin and add a huge excess of a concentrated solution of the fatty acid to an anion exchange resin and let it stir overnight. Filter off the resin and rinse it with clean solvent a few times. Dissolve your Pt salt in something and stir it with the resin again overnight. Collect the solution and you should have your platinum fatty acid salt. Save the resin too, it can be reused many times.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 08:50:38 AM »
The problem that I see is the solubility of the fatty acid.  Ordinarily when one converts a resin into a particular counter-ion form, one uses a 1 M solution and passes a number of column volumes through the resin in order to convert it.  The solubility of a typical fatty acid in water is not high; one might form micelles.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 10:08:01 AM »
I think you're still orders of magnitude of concentration of monomer higher than the ions already in the resin. You should be able to see if exchange occurred by taking FTIR of the resin. Look for the carboxylate peak.

Online Corribus

• Chemist
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 12:07:12 PM »
Take some resin and add a huge excess of a concentrated solution of the fatty acid to an anion exchange resin and let it stir overnight. Filter off the resin and rinse it with clean solvent a few times. Dissolve your Pt salt in something and stir it with the resin again overnight. Collect the solution and you should have your platinum fatty acid salt. Save the resin too, it can be reused many times.
Sorry, I'm a little confused. I take some resin and add a huge excess of fatty acid solution (in water? in organic solvent? if the latter, does it matter which solvent?). Filter off, rinse with clean solvent (same as before?). At this point my fatty acid is bound to the resin, right? Dissolve platinum salt in something (water?). Stir over night. Collect aqueous solution and my fatty acid salt is in the water? That doesn't make much sense to me, because the fatty acid salt shouldn't be water soluble.

Next question: How fatty of an acid can I use do you think? Hexanoic acid? Stearic acid?
Next question: is there a limit to how far I can scale it up? I'd like a minimum of a few 100 mg - a gram would be better.

EDIT: I didn't read the posts after yours until after I replied. So I see the issue of solubility is already brought up. The goal is to create a fat-soluble platinum source, preferably dissolved at high concentration in a nonpolar solvent like hexane or toluene. I guess something like this: https://patents.google.com/patent/US5149854 . But man I find patents impossible to read.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 12:21:15 PM by Corribus »

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 12:55:14 PM »
Yep, your quick procedure is about correct. I prefer to do all organics because they evaporate more easily.

I would go with a smaller fatty acid, but that's just a gut check, I don't know if it matters. Smaller stuff will exchange with better kinetics usually.I would check it with IR to make sure exchange occurred.

A gram is a lot... Just from the platinum sense. It's an expensive metal. Resin is moderately priced, but very reusable.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 12:58:00 PM »
Also for reading patent literature, I just scroll down to the examples. They are written like typical procedures. I think they have some reasonable ones in that patent.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2018, 02:45:55 PM »
Yeah reading patents takes time and patience :D but that one seems pretty ok.

13.8g of platinum tetrachloride and 21.5g of sodium neodecanoate are warmed to 56° C. in 150 mL of ace tone and are stirred for 3 hrs. The slurry is filtered and acetone is evaporated from the solution. The residue is dissolved in 100 mL of xylene and insoluble material is separated by centrifuging. The remaining solids are washed with additional xylene and xylene layers are combined. The product (131.6 g) contains 6.59% platinum (88% yield).

Seems like the exact stuff you are looking for

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2018, 06:27:25 PM »
When I have exchanged counter ions using resins or gels, I more often work in column mode than in batch mode.  I am not sure that it makes a great deal of difference.

Sponsored Links