April 25, 2024, 06:15:12 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: acids and bases- determining hydrogen and hydroxide concentrations  (Read 1567 times)

Offline betabaggins

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
if the Kw at 50 degrees Celsius is 5.0x10^-14 What is the [H+] and [OH-] concentrations?
Would I just take the square root of 5.0x10^-14? Because Kw=[H+][OH-] , so both concentrations would = 2.344228815x10^-7 ???

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Square root is a way to go, as stoichiometry of dissociation tells us [H+] = [OH-]. Just remember it is not  2.344228815x10-7, 2.3×10-7 at best (Kw doesn't have accuracy high enough to support remaining digits, if you were not taught about error propagation think in terms of significant figures).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
I think you're missing a line or two? Do you want to calculate the pH at neutrality, for instance? Also, not sure if sqrt 5 = 2.34...

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
I think you're missing a line or two? Do you want to calculate the pH at neutrality, for instance?

That was my understanding.

Also, not sure if sqrt 5 = 2.34...

Good point, close, but a bit off.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links