April 19, 2024, 03:49:19 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Inorganic chemistry exam  (Read 5517 times)

Offline alerogram

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Inorganic chemistry exam
« on: May 03, 2018, 07:13:01 AM »
Hello, i had a gastrointestinal disease and got surgery and haven't been able to go to class of inorganic chemistry in the second course of chemistry, im recuperating now but its only 1 month left of class. I have been reading Inorganic Chemistry by Catherine e.housecroft to prepare for my finals, but its a book of 1200 pages and its really hard to study that much ammount. I went to ask my teacher for help but he only recommended me this book and didn't even answer my questions that i prepared cause he said i didnt have the basics so it would take too much time. I feel really lost and i have 0 hopes of passing, before my surgery i passed everything and got really good marks going to class, so im asking for a little help, cause even if i learn everything of this book, the exam will be very different from the theory...
Is there any exams (solved or not solved) that i can get provided with so i can practice for my finals? they will be probably very different exams, but i need practice and i really can't found in the internet, most universities have blocked access and mine doesn't provide any practice exams, thanks for the help

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re: Inorganic chemistry exam
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 07:36:26 AM »
The right course of action is to open your book and start reading and doing problems. Your professor even took the time to explicitly say which book would help you understand what you needed to know. Asking for tests from different classes, from different people all over the world seems like an inferior approach. And I have faith you can read a 1200 page book, it's not that much, get started!
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 01:23:53 PM »
Typically colleges have various forms of exceptions in dealing with serious illness within a semester. Find your advisor or, failing that, department head and talk to them.

You've paid a lot of money to go to college, that money goes towards many resources, take advantage of them. Most administrators and office people aren't monsters, someone will help you.

Offline orgo814

• Mole Snacks: +11/-6
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 12:12:06 AM »
First of all, I am sorry to hear about your illness. You are in a tough situation and I understand your frustration.

That being said, schools do offer support for these type of situations. However, in the future if something like this happens again, I recommend not waiting until the very end of the semester to deal with it. If your performance was being affected by your illness and you were not keeping up,  you should have withdrawed from the course while you still could and then retook it when you were good and healthy. However, assuming it is too late to withdraw at this point, I recommend talking to the dean as they may be able to let you withdraw from the course late if you have documentation such as a note from a physician. If that isn’t possible, your only option is to study as hard as you can. The best way to study chemistry is by doing as many problems as you can so I recommend end of the chapter questions. Good luck!

Sponsored Links