April 26, 2024, 03:13:16 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: URGENT: Dilution of weak acid ph question  (Read 1709 times)

Offline persephones

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
URGENT: Dilution of weak acid ph question
« on: June 04, 2018, 01:04:11 AM »
I have my board exam tomorrow and i can't seem to wrap my head around this question:

For ethanoic acid, pKa= 4.76, the pH of a dilute solution with a concentration of 1x10^(-10) is almost:
A. 15
B. 5.2
C. 7.0
D. 7.4

The answer is C and since the acid is very dilute we have to consider the ionization of water, too. I don't get how you can calculate the pH considering that acid dissociation is NOT negligible, can someone please explain what steps to take and how the answer is C? :( Thank you

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: URGENT: Dilution of weak acid ph question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 03:04:11 AM »
You are given the acid concentration. Assuming all acetic acid dissociated - by how much would it lower the pH of pure water? Do you really need the exact solution here?

Speaking of exact solution:
http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=pH-calculation&right=pH-weak-acid-base
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline persephones

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 04:41:59 AM »
I don't need the exact solution, I just don't understand the principle behind it. What exactly happens when a weak acid is diluted and why does it become neutral?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 06:39:22 AM »
I don't need the exact solution, I just don't understand the principle behind it. What exactly happens when a weak acid is diluted and why does it become neutral?

Please reread my post:

Assuming all acetic acid dissociated - by how much would it lower the pH of pure water?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 07:43:12 AM »
Could a very dilute solution, of a weak acid, ever be alkaline?  One of your options is pH 15, a superbase.  Is that remotely possible?  Assuming water is pH 7.00000, can any amount of the weakest acid possible, ever make the solution even 7.000001?

Are you ready for a board exam, presumably a multiple choice standardized test?  Shouldn't you have excluded impossible options from consideration?  This is a tough problem, if you don't realize that the ionization of water has to be accounted for.  But you did know that.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links