April 23, 2024, 07:46:18 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Does the activity series apply in the Al(NO3)3+Fe(s)--> ??? Reaction?  (Read 1992 times)

Offline RespectfulStudent

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Goal: complete the reaction in the title.
I would say that the activity series should apply resulting in a NO Reaction t because the reaction is single displacement (replacement?) and the lone Fe is lower than Al in the activity series.
However, using webqc, an equation is given with no errors. (I am conflicted). Is my prediction correct ?
Further question: what Is the state of Al(NO3)3? Does it have to be a solid for the displacement activity series to apply? (Is that why Fe is given the (s) state?)
Thanks,
Respectfulstudent

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Goal: complete the reaction in the title.
I would say that the activity series should apply resulting in a NO Reaction t because the reaction is single displacement (replacement?) and the lone Fe is lower than Al in the activity series.

That is good work.

However, using webqc, an equation is given with no errors. (I am conflicted). Is my prediction correct ?

webqc also likes this reaction of mine: 

Balanced equation:
DogCat + GoldFish = DogFish + GoldCat
Reaction type: double replacement

I suspect it doesn't really determine if the reaction will go.  Just checks balancing.  Unless someone can show me a GoldCat, and prove me wrong.
Further question: what Is the state of Al(NO3)3? Does it have to be a solid for the displacement activity series to apply? (Is that why Fe is given the (s) state?)
Thanks,
Respectfulstudent

Name the other states of matter used in chemical reactions.  Show me iron in those states.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Not to say that webqc isn't fun to play with:

Error: equation Dog2Cat+GoldFish=DogFish+GoldCat is an impossible reaction
Instructions and examples below may help to solve this problem
You can always ask for help in the forum

Balanced equation:
Dog2Cat + 2 GoldFish = 2 DogFish + Gold2Cat
Reaction type: double replacement

If I can have a Gold Cat, I'd much prefer the di-auric specimen.  Probably not a CFA registered breed, but cooler.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
+1 snack for the GoldCat  ;D

I too would like to know the reaction conditions. The nitrate is an oxidiser, and if you mix both powders and ignite, I expect oxides of both metals as products, plus nitrogen and oxygen given the proportions.

Sponsored Links