March 28, 2024, 12:46:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Easy reaction that will create a specific image  (Read 4208 times)

filipalexi

Easy reaction that will create a specific image
« on: June 09, 2018, 08:08:18 AM »
Hello! I'm a design student in college and I have a project in which I desperately need help of people that actually understand chemistry.
The project consists of recreating a poster, so recreating an image, by the means of a reaction. For example burning wood, or making rust appear in metal in specific areas, for it to create the image of the poster. As those have been made by some classmates, I need to figure out something else. I'm attaching the poster here, it's what the reaction needs to look like in the end.

No matter how much I research, I can't figure out what to do. I can find multiple reactions that can be done at home, but none which I can actually delineate before hand, and so, control the final shape it will make. I desperately need suggestions of anything you can think of. It can also use fire or water or whatever else.

It doesn't need to be something overly simple or overly complicated as long as it achieves this specific result. And please bare in mind that I'm inexperienced, it needs to be something I can have access to, and not lose a finger while doing at home. I'm sorry if I'm asking too much, and thanks.  :( ???

Offline OrganicDan96

• Mole Snacks: +20/-1
Re: Easy reaction that will create a specific image
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 11:03:49 AM »
what material are you using?
could you make some sort of plastic mask? so like a plastic sheet that has some areas cut out. if you are using metal you could use some reaction that etches the metal the exposed areas would be etched and the covered areas wouldn't. alternatively you could make a photo sensitive silver solution that deposits silver metal (black in colour) when exposed to light, the covered areas would not be exposed by light therefore not take the black colour.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 01:06:02 PM »
Paint a wettable surface with something hydrophobic when toss water on it

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 05:45:26 AM »
Bem-vindo(a)!

----------

Look at how electronics hobbyists make printed circuits. They buy a glassfibre+epoxy substrate with 35µm copper layer everywhere that is covered with a photoresists. Exposition to light according to a pattern (usually lines of copper for the electric circuit, in you case the drawing) acts on the photoresist - I suppose it polymerizes it. After exposition, the resist is selectively removed by a chemical etchant, and bare copper is etched away where the resist doesn't protect it any more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWnfnt2rNO0

A typical size is in the dm2 range, but you can reduce the pattern a lot. Traces <1mm wide are easy, professionals make 0.2mm commonly. This can give a special twist to you embodiment.

Everything is available in shops for electronics hobbyists at a rather accessible price. I suggest to team with an experienced hobbyist, as learning it takes some time and failures.

----------

Or find someone or a company with a machine for stereolithography. The ones that polymerize MMA with light, not the ones that deposit molten plastic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereolithography
It is a chemical reaction. Input the shape in the driving software, obtain an object of that shape.

filipalexi

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 09:17:00 AM »
Paint a wettable surface with something hydrophobic when toss water on it

unfortunately someone else already did it but thank you!

filipalexi

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 09:19:52 AM »
what material are you using?
could you make some sort of plastic mask? so like a plastic sheet that has some areas cut out. if you are using metal you could use some reaction that etches the metal the exposed areas would be etched and the covered areas wouldn't. alternatively you could make a photo sensitive silver solution that deposits silver metal (black in colour) when exposed to light, the covered areas would not be exposed by light therefore not take the black colour.

Bem-vindo(a)!

----------

Look at how electronics hobbyists make printed circuits. They buy a glassfibre+epoxy substrate with 35µm copper layer everywhere that is covered with a photoresists. Exposition to light according to a pattern (usually lines of copper for the electric circuit, in you case the drawing) acts on the photoresist - I suppose it polymerizes it. After exposition, the resist is selectively removed by a chemical etchant, and bare copper is etched away where the resist doesn't protect it any more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWnfnt2rNO0

A typical size is in the dm2 range, but you can reduce the pattern a lot. Traces <1mm wide are easy, professionals make 0.2mm commonly. This can give a special twist to you embodiment.

Everything is available in shops for electronics hobbyists at a rather accessible price. I suggest to team with an experienced hobbyist, as learning it takes some time and failures.

----------

Or find someone or a company with a machine for stereolithography. The ones that polymerize MMA with light, not the ones that deposit molten plastic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereolithography
It is a chemical reaction. Input the shape in the driving software, obtain an object of that shape.

Thank you for the suggestions! I took so long to reply cause i needed the approval from the prof, i've decided to try copper etching and the PCB making since they're more or less similar. Thank you, sincerely!

Sponsored Links