April 20, 2024, 12:17:06 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Clarification on multiple choice question  (Read 1887 times)

Offline RespectfulStudent

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Clarification on multiple choice question
« on: June 10, 2018, 07:27:00 PM »
My answer: d
Supposedly correct answer : c
Why I think that I am correct: the question specifically requests for an answer that is applicable to all bonds that share electrons- only molecular(aka covalent?)bonds can share electrons, and the most electronegative molecule (ie. Take NO2(g) which is a covalent bond where O Is the more electronegative atom, with a higher electron affinity . The protons in the nucleus of O attract the negative electrons being shared more than the N protons are attracting the electrons so the O protons win the '''tug of war''' . Meaning that one of the atoms attracts the electrons more.
Why I think I may be incorrect: ionic bonds do not share electrons which is implied when I choose d.

I also don't understand what energy content means so that could be one of the  reasons for my conflict

Offline XeLa.

• Mole Snacks: +9/-2
Re: Clarification on multiple choice question
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 02:53:53 AM »
Your logic is flawed when you consider a bond between identical atoms. Which atom is more electronegative in N2?

Instead, think of why atoms form bonds in the first place. Why is it more favorable for some atoms to form bonds rather than to remain in their elemental form? Based on that intuition, (c) should be the obvious choice.

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 10:48:09 AM »
When  atoms form bonds,  the electrons that bond have achieved a lower (potential?) Energy state, and made an octet following the octet rule to get a full stable valence shell like the Noble gases have.
Before bonding the atoms seek to bond and have more potential energy
Does this explain why is correct? Even for N2 the electrons ate both attracted at equal strengths  to the positive nuclei of each atom of nitrogen. When they stabilize after bonding /as a result they do not try to gain electrons because they have completed their valence shells. This is why they will be unreactive and why Noble gases are unreactive by themselves.

Does the above text make sense to support why c is correct?

Also, does my original reasoning make sense when applied to molevular bonds involving non identical atoms?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 11:06:26 AM »
Also, does my original reasoning make sense when applied to molevular bonds involving non identical atoms?
A few nonidentical atoms have electronegativity values that are either the same or at least quite close (carbon and sulfur come to mind).  IMO they are sharing electrons equally, or nearly equally.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 11:14:13 AM »
That seems correct I didn't take that into account. Would my original explanation apply to, say, fluorine bonding with chlorine?

Sponsored Links