March 28, 2024, 02:50:43 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mixing 4% NaOH + 5%NaOCl  (Read 2202 times)

Offline ebuzz168

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Mixing 4% NaOH + 5%NaOCl
« on: June 21, 2018, 09:55:53 AM »
Greeting,
I want to make 2 liter solution with concentration of 4 %NaOH and 5% NaOCl. Let's say I have household bleach that contain 5% NaOCl and a NaOH in solid state, how do I mix them to obtain that solution?

I've spent 2 hours to solve it but nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Mixing 4% NaOH + 5%NaOCl
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 10:04:11 AM »
If you spent 2 hours working on the problem, surely you can show some of this work.

Btw. As a general rule it's not wise to mix chlorine bleach with anything. Outcomes can be bad for your health.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline ebuzz168

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 11:01:37 AM »
I'm trying to make solution for pre-treatment of plastic particles. Naik et al. subjected shredded high-density plastic waste to treatment with (i) 5% Hypochlorite Solution and (ii) 5% Hypochlorite Solution + 4% Sodium Hydroxide in an attempt to improve bonding with the cementitious matrix. It was expected that plastics would not form chemical bonds with cementitious materials, only physical bonds.

I can't figured out how much bleach and NaOH needed in order to make that solution.

I'm trying to make solution for pre-treatment of plastic particles. Naik et al. subjected shredded high-density plastic waste to treatment with (i) 5% Hypochlorite Solution and (ii) 5% Hypochlorite Solution + 4% Sodium Hydroxide in an attempt to improve bonding with the cementitious matrix. It was expected that plastics would not form chemical bonds with cementitious materials, only physical bonds.

I can't figured out how much bleach and NaOH needed in order to make that solution.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 11:50:33 AM by ebuzz168 »

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 03:27:55 PM »
Technically it is not possible to make solution that is still 5% in anything if you need to add other things and you start with 5% solution, but I doubt it will matter much in this case.

Can you write the definition of the percentage concentration?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline OrganicDan96

• Mole Snacks: +20/-1
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 05:30:05 PM »
i'm pretty sure household bleach contains quite a lot NaOH already.

Sponsored Links