April 19, 2024, 07:12:09 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Showing the structure of this Grignard Reaction  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Jobreebree

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Showing the structure of this Grignard Reaction
« on: June 22, 2018, 01:17:47 PM »
Hello!

In this question that I'm showing is asking to show the structures for each of the indicated species in the Grignard reaction. In the first box for organohailde, I understand that you have to use Br to add on to the product. Same with the grignard reagent you would use MgBr because the arrow. However, what is confusing me is would you add another bond to each of the species like I have shown below. I understand that from the product you have to break the carbon bond, in order to find each of the species. Thank you!

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
Re: Showing the structure of this Grignard Reaction
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 02:21:05 PM »
Well, the alcohol is (obviously) formed from carbonyl compound, the tricky part is which carbonyl compound and which grignard reagent. In your case, you have two options on carbonyl compound, that both use same grignard reagent.
In the case of reagents you drew, you get this product:

so can you figure out, what needs to be the structure of the grignard reagent if you react it with acetone to get your desired product?

Offline Jobreebree

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 03:03:35 PM »
Would it be an another carbonyl structure?

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 04:10:37 PM »
Not really. If acetone has 3 carbons, and the product has 4, how many carbons do you need in the grignard reagent to get there? Then, if you get the structure of the grignard reagent, you can easily figure out the structure of halide needed to make that grignard reagent

Sponsored Links