March 28, 2024, 05:43:57 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: ICP-OES - Liquid Extinguishing Plasma?  (Read 2376 times)

Offline REGNUM

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
ICP-OES - Liquid Extinguishing Plasma?
« on: June 26, 2018, 02:03:38 PM »
Hello Chemical Forum Members,

I am having an issue with liquid reaching the plasma from the spray chamber.  Here are some of the instrument specs:

ICP-OES: Perkin Elmer Optima 7300 DV
Spray Chamber: CPI, Cyclonic, No Baffle, P/N 4060-010790

Plasma: 15 L/min.
Aux.: 0.6 L/min.
Nebulizer: 0.57 L/min.
RF Power: 1500W
Pump: 1.80 mL/min.

Note: We have been using this instrument at these specs for over 5 years.  We are analyzing metals in water and soil matrices.  The problem below recently started a few months ago.

Problem:
When using a new CPI spray chamber liquid beads on the cyclonic area of the spray chamber, filling it with a cloudy mist, and it also beads on the end that connects to the injector.  I have tried adding aqua regia to the spray chamber for a period of 24 hrs and I have noticed less beading in the cyclonic area but it has not kept liquid droplets from reaching the injector and eventually the plasma.

I have also tried an older used Perkin Elmer cyclonic spray chamber and there is no beading on the cyclonic area but there is a build of liquid on the end that connects to the injector.

I have also replaced every part in the sample introduction and liquid continues to bead on the spray chamber.

Any Ideas? Thank you.

Offline Raayou

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
Re: ICP-OES - Liquid Extinguishing Plasma?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 08:08:01 AM »
Have you tried  checking the nebulizer? I suggest that you must because  accumulation of deposits in the nebulizer can also reduce sample uptakes,  ensure that you soak it  in aqua regia as well.
Also check your torch as well because presence of  solid materials in the torch injector greatly affects the aerosol introduction from the spray chamber towards the plasma.

Sponsored Links