April 24, 2024, 06:29:10 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: immiscibility + stirring equivalent to miscibility?  (Read 1386 times)

Offline MangoPaws

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
immiscibility + stirring equivalent to miscibility?
« on: July 07, 2018, 07:43:16 PM »
Hello folks,
I'm trying to discuss a reaction for which I have conducted a solvent assay and discovered that good yields result from the use of ethers and with toluene. With toluene the reaction is monophasic (one of the reagents is dissolved in water) and with ethers the reaction is biphasic. Do you think that there is a particular distinction between those two systems under high stirring? I can't think how to approach this as it could be the proximity of the constituents which presumably will be similar (although unknown how much a water solvation of formaldehdye exists when under high stirring in diethyl ether for example) or are the interactions that result in the systems being miscible or immiscible when the system is stationary the thing that is important when considering the impact of the partition of materials in the solvent mixtures or solvent effects on reaction pathways. 

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
Re: immiscibility + stirring equivalent to miscibility?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 12:18:20 AM »
Yes,
The rate of the reaction will change as the solvent changes because of partitioning. I think you should increase the surface tension of the aqueous phase by increasing the ionic strength of the solution. Therefore, the partition coefficient of the molecules will vary.

Sponsored Links