March 28, 2024, 09:16:53 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Water Absorbency test  (Read 1483 times)

Offline bluemercury

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Water Absorbency test
« on: July 13, 2018, 03:11:10 AM »
I am conducting an experiment to find out the water absorbency of sodium polyacrylate (NaPAA) how different salts with various ionic strengths and different temperature affect the ability of sodium polyacrylate, commonly found in baby diapers, absorb water. However, I am struggling to come up with a scientific methodology to conduct the research. Does anyone have a viable methodology on how to measure the water absorbency?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Water Absorbency test
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 10:18:39 AM »
Well, what have you tried?  I'm guessing this is a high school project, and the instructor hoped you could solve this on your own.  Any guess, at all?  How would you know that some media is "Done" absorbing?  What measurements can you think of?

Think of it this way: I have a baby diaper, a paper tower, an old cotton rag, a cloth napkin treated with Scotchgard(TM), a block of wood, and a polished stainless steel block.  What will absorb a "small spill"?  What will absorb a "large" spill?  What are "small" and "large" in this case and how do you know?  What aren't absorbent at all?  How will you know, and what problems are there in defining "not absorbent"?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links