April 23, 2024, 03:02:58 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: ANY Oxides in thermite?  (Read 1874 times)

Offline Snottco

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
ANY Oxides in thermite?
« on: July 19, 2018, 07:00:23 AM »
When researching thermite for a school project, I came across the statement that 'any' metal oxide could be used to make it and was wondering if that statement is true, as I am hoping to get high marks and don't want to state something false. I didn't know if Aluminium oxide is at all usable for thermite as it might not conduct the same reaction if the metals are the same. Thanks in advance

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: ANY Oxides in thermite?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 07:54:05 AM »
Check what is Thermit. Aluminiumoxide ist not used for it. Instead  what has aluminium oxide to do with it?
A lot of transition metal oxide can be used. During my univeristy time the goal was to produce some manganase, chromium, nickel, cobalt with this reaction.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 07:54:22 AM »
We don't discuss explosives here

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 08:17:28 AM »
You are right. But every medal has two sides. Thermit is used for welding railway tracks or iron bars. And the question to asked for different oxides should be ok. We gave no receipe. Were doesit starts and were does it end.

I can use a truck to carry goods or to drive it on a christmas market to kill people.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 09:02:44 AM »
I am not going to get into a semantics discussion, but it is a warning to you both that this will be locked if it veers into the topics of explosives. We all know how thermite is often used by amateurs.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 04:21:15 AM »
[...] I didn't know if Aluminium oxide is at all usable for thermite as it might not conduct the same reaction if the metals are the same. [...]

Sound logic.

To determine if such a reaction releases heat (which is also a first approximate indication whether the reaction proceeds), I'd compare the heats of formation of the oxides per mole of oxygen atoms.

I don't expect Al to react with MgO neither. Nor CaO, BeO, Li2O, Y2O3, Sc2O3 and more.

Sponsored Links