March 29, 2024, 03:52:09 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: OH- Emission/Absorption Spectra  (Read 1931 times)

Offline here_fore_the_memes

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
OH- Emission/Absorption Spectra
« on: July 24, 2018, 08:36:29 PM »
Can anyone tell me the strong lines of OH- spectrum, specifically in the UV area? A link to a reputable source would be great as i need to reference it in an assignment. Thanks

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: OH- Emission/Absorption Spectra
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 02:14:01 PM »
With such little information it's hard to know what you're after. Depending on whether you are looking for gas phase or aqueous phase, the spectral data will be quite different.

Moreover, at this forum we like to see that you've made some effort to solve your own problem before we provide assistance. This is for our benefit as much as yours. To that end: What literature searches have you done? Where have you looked for information already?

What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline here_fore_the_memes

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 02:38:46 AM »
I am talking about aqueous, and i have done hours of research online and also looked through the few textbooks that i own.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 08:26:55 AM »
I'm sorry you've had poor results, online, in textbooks, and on this forum.  Like Corribus: said, your original question:

Can anyone tell me the strong lines of OH- spectrum, specifically in the UV area? A link to a reputable source would be great as i need to reference it in an assignment. Thanks

is too general to work with.  Your updated question:

I am talking about aqueous, and i have done hours of research online and also looked through the few textbooks that i own.

Isn't much better.  You seem to lack the very basics, and you've told us how much time you've spent, but you haven't given us a hint of what you've learned.

The problem is, you may not be able to find anything, the way you've written the question.  So we can't blame you for that.  You want to detect aqueous OH-?  So you want the UV wavelengths that would show the difference between plain water, with its auto dissociation to H+ and OH- and say a dilute solution of sodium hydroxide solution in water?  And you want to use standard UV optics of the sort you'd find in a high school lab?  No, that's impossible.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 12:43:28 PM »
You can't have searched that hard or you're not searching correctly. I used a search string of "aqueous hydroxide UV absorption" and turned up several old papers published in ACS journals. Whether you can access those or not is another issue, of course, but it gets to the point: you wrote you spent several hours searching and found nothing, but didn't provide any information about where or how you searched. It would be good to know how you were searching and what kind of resources you have access to. This way we could help you improve the way you are searching for information, so that future searches you undertake are more efficient. Helping you learn is the whole point of this website, which is why the rules exist.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links