March 28, 2024, 05:27:35 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: gap btw industry and university  (Read 4381 times)

Offline mana

• Mole Snacks: +3/-3
gap btw industry and university
« on: July 25, 2018, 12:05:11 PM »
Hi all
Which country are you living? And is there a huge gap btw your industry and university? What should we do to decrease the gap? I'm really interested to find a solution to make my researches applicable for the industry. What do you suggest for this problem?.
Thanks for all comments

Offline blackcat

Re: gap btw industry and university
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 02:41:17 PM »
Gap? I guess you meant difference, right?

yes, there are lots of differences. One of them is industry values team work much more while academic less. Another difference is academic emphasizes enormously on publications while industry less, but focuses on your skills sets (including communication skills and team work)

Offline mana

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 02:13:35 AM »
Gap? I guess you meant difference, right?

yes, there are lots of differences. One of them is industry values team work much more while academic less. Another difference is academic emphasizes enormously on publications while industry less, but focuses on your skills sets (including communication skills and team work)
No, I mean how the academic publications can be applicable in industry, for example in organic chemistry we try to find greener and cheaper approaches to synthesis drugs and sometimes we can find one in the lab, but the pharmacy factories can not use it because changing the technology in factories is very expensive, so the publication will remain useless for the industry :(
I want to know if you are living in a country such as Germany (which the gap is very little) what did your universities do to conqure this problem

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 08:54:56 AM »
It really depends on what are you working in. Im guessing the reason why scientific publications mean little in the industry (Is it really true?) is that, the reproducibility of methods is low. There is a reason why industry makes amides and does cros-couplings: those are reliable reactions that require little optimization to get at least some yield of product for SAR study.

Also, changing the technology is not THAT bad. It all depends on price of the product. I mean, in petrol plant sure but lots of medications are just made in few kg batches. From my internship at TEVA, where we optimized Umeclidinium bromide synthesis, they told me that they make like few kg of it per year and the final steps are done in glove box

Sponsored Links