April 19, 2024, 11:07:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Concentration of excess reactant & yield of aspirin  (Read 1367 times)

Offline helpmepleaseplease

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Concentration of excess reactant & yield of aspirin
« on: July 25, 2018, 03:31:22 PM »
If increasing/decreasing the concentration of an excess reactant(acetic anhydride) influenced the percentage yield of a product(aspirin) experimentally, how could this be explained??

I know that in theory, the excess shouldn't affect the yield- since it's the limiting that decides how much is produced. But is there any possible explanation for this result?

The results of my experiment shows a correlation between the concentration of acetic anhydride and the amount of aspirin yielded.
Did I do my experiment wrong by not purifying..? Or is there an explanation that could be made about this?

I was thinking maybe kinetics/equilibrium could explain this?? (increase in conc. of reactant leads to increase in rate of reaction- maybe under limited time, faster reaction could have led to more synthesis)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 03:53:41 PM by helpmepleaseplease »

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: Concentration of excess reactant & yield of aspirin
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 03:50:19 PM »
There is a rather famous concept named after a Frenchman that is what you are looking for. You have in fact essentially mentioned it in the last sentence of your post.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Re: Concentration of excess reactant & yield of aspirin
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 05:41:29 PM »
Your comment is misleading in at least one way: the amount of the limiting reagent controls the theoretical yield only, not the actual yield.

Sponsored Links