March 28, 2024, 04:50:42 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: SILICA  (Read 6430 times)

Offline gumusonur

• Mole Snacks: +0/-3
SILICA
« on: August 02, 2018, 05:06:25 AM »
hello;

I have a question. i wanna make a product for athletes. this product should take the wet in the hands, dry the hands.
which silica use I can?
how can solve this silica?
finally, this product must be a little viscous?

i am waiting for your helps.
thanks..

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
Re: SILICA
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 05:35:19 AM »
Most of the silica gels and crystals used as desiccants are toxic iirc. How about a talc?   Or simply a paper towel?

Must be viscous? I don't understand - you want it to be a liquid?

Maybe if you explain what it is you are after a little better I could see more clearly what you are after.  Is this to dry the sweat from an athletes hands as they are running past a station? What's the situation where they need this quick and easy drying of the hands where a towel will not suffice?
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline gumusonur

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 06:03:11 AM »

yes athletes want to have quick and easy drying and long term effect. they can use towel, but towel has not long term effect. 
i tried Aerosil. Aerosil 200, Alcohol and Silicon Mix. Is there silica(aerosil) else you can suggest?

it must be viscous or liquit but not too much. approximately 1000Cp enough for 3spndle 12rpm.

thanks.

Offline P

• I am what I am
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 06:16:16 AM »
Maybe I am missing something, but I am not sure how it will have a long term effect.  Lets say an alcohol gel DID dry the runner's hands as they went past the station....  Their hands are wet already due to sweating I suspect, so drying them wont stop them sweating again when they run a bit further down the road.

Is it really a problem? Sweat is what humans do - I don't think you want to stop it...  or dry it even - it is there to evaporate naturally so as to lower the runners temperature. It might be unpleasant but it is just part and parcel of the running experience in hot weather I am afraid.

I used to run and I am certain that if running a 10k in the heat I would rather someone hose me down with water as went past a station as opposed to being coated with chemicals that will dry my sweat or stop me sweating.   Getting a good water soaking is much better and you cool as you dry naturally...  am I missing something?

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline gumusonur

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 06:29:13 AM »
weightlifter need products like this.
i attached pic.

Offline P

• I am what I am
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 06:56:50 AM »
I think they use talcs...  or they did. Maybe they have modern grippy polymers in the mix with the talcs these days I do not know - I'd have to look that up.   

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline gumusonur

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 07:38:32 AM »
this pic show modern product.

Offline P

• I am what I am
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 09:17:59 AM »
Is that 'gripping solution'  a solution to the gripping problem or an actual solution of something like a polymer or whatever in water/solvevnt/gel?

I know they USED to use talc/chalk...  then I think they put some rubbery/sticky polymer in with the talc to aid grip.  Maybe this new 'solution' is like rubber cement or something dissolved up so that it coats your hand with latex.  I am sorry - I do not know what it is. I think it is recent (new in the last 20 years?) as they used to use chalk/talc/polymer dry powder mix.

Are you looking to make your own or just buy some of that gripping solution? You could reverse engineer it pretty easy enough if you identify the polymer. Probably easier to by a pot. 

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline P

• I am what I am
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 09:22:14 AM »
What about this 'liquid chalk'   -  it does sound very recent:-

https://liquidgripcanada.com/hand-chalk/

This link gives some interesting info - it is still the rosin and chalk mix I was on about but in a water based hydrocelluose thickened formula:

"What is Liquid Chalk? - Essentially, it is a hydrocellulose thickener that is water-based, which enables rosin and chalk to be mixed up together in a new type of formula. When applied to the hands, the moisture in the liquid chalk dissipates pretty much instantly. The user is given a dry feeling on their hands, which means that there is an added layer on top of their skin that will help them when it comes to improving their grip. The product binds itself to the fatty acids on your skin, strengthening the bond between the chalk and your hand, and enabling the formula to dry within seconds."

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 02:19:43 PM »
Liquid chalk is also the name given to a suspension of fine chalk in isopropanol. Rock climbers use it to dry out their hands for short periods of time.

Offline gumusonur

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 03:24:12 AM »

thanks, i think ı have to work for this project many time.   :(

Offline P

• I am what I am
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 04:30:44 AM »
Liquid chalk is also the name given to a suspension of fine chalk in isopropanol. Rock climbers use it to dry out their hands for short periods of time.

I was wondering if it has IPA in it for the fast evaporation.

So - Hydrocelluose thickened IPA solution with suspended chalk or talc powder in it? Maybe with the inclusion of some polymer powder for tack. Doesn't sound too hard.

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline gumusonur

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 04:39:59 AM »

thanks, I will make a product using hydrocellulose. ı will share results for you.
if you remember or thinking anything, please say to me.

thanks.

Sponsored Links