March 28, 2024, 05:17:01 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Verify the Calculations !!!  (Read 1860 times)

Offline boldfacebutton7

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Verify the Calculations !!!
« on: August 14, 2018, 01:15:10 AM »
Hello everyone,
I came across one research paper and found this experimental procedure. I want to mimic it, but my calculations do not match with the one shown in the image below. Someone kindly verify the calculations shown.
For me, the mass of Ferric Chloride required is coming out to be 8.108 g.

Earlier I had asked at the forum if the Molarity would remain the same if instead of water, EG is used as a solvent. And I was told that Molarity would be the same.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Verify the Calculations !!!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 02:05:07 AM »
Consider typing the experimental out to aid search functionality in the future. It's not clear from this extract what the ferric chloride salt they used to start with is. Is this available?

From memory, I think you were advised that the process would be the same for calculating molarity.

Offline boldfacebutton7

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 04:29:39 AM »
I am not sure what you meant by the type of Ferric Chloride. Do you want me to tell you the source of ferric chloride?

Yes, I was advised that calculation of Molarity is same irrespective of the solvent but my calculations do not match the one given in the paper.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 05:42:32 AM »
Yes - is it, for instance anhydrous, hexahydrate? How does the total volume differ as you add the salt?

Offline boldfacebutton7

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 11:24:05 AM »
Yes - is it, for instance anhydrous, hexahydrate? How does the total volume differ as you add the salt?

It is ferric Chloride hexahydrate. I did not carry out the experiment. I calculated the molarity and it was not 0.6 as mentioned in the paper. So I thought of verifying it first at the forum

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 12:44:45 PM »
Something is definitely wrong. To make 1L of such solution one would need 20 times more of the "ferric chloride", or 20×1.621 g = 32.42 g. As it is 1L of the solution, 32.42 g would be 0.6 moles, so the molar mass of the substance would be is 54 - and that's enough just for the iron, but no place for any chloride.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links