April 16, 2024, 07:42:56 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reduction of phosphine gas  (Read 9244 times)

Limpet Chicken

Reduction of phosphine gas
« on: September 01, 2004, 06:41:47 PM »
I had an idea, actually, it came to me in a dream ;D hhe, just like kekule's (sp?) discovery of the benzene structure.

Basically, reduction of phosphine by bubbling a stream of PH3, fed with H2S maybe a mixed feed through two connected pipes through water that is preheated to start the reaction, I checked this out with one of the members here on MSN and the reduction potentials of H2S compared to PH3 seemed favorable, this might me a good way to purify phosphorus if it works, I am going to sacrifice some of my treasured white P to discover if this will work in practise, but I would like a little input on this before possible wasting some of my hard slaved for Wp ;D

Thanks all.

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
Re:Reduction of phosphine gas
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 04:07:34 PM »
You are trying to reduce PH3?  To P?

I don't think that's going to work....

Limpet Chicken

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 04:36:01 PM »
It might, phosphine decomposes to its elements on heating to a lowish temperature, a few hundred degrees, so it can't be that stable, its just that I can think of no way to heat phosphine and vent the H2 without heating a pressurised tank, and causeing a huge explosion of toxic and pyrophoric PH3 gas.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 07:16:34 PM »
You do realize that H2S is also toxic, right?  This is going to be a very difficult reaction to do unless you're in an actual chem lab.  I also have my doubts about it working as you describe.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 07:16:59 PM by hmx9123 »

Limpet Chicken

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 08:53:44 PM »
I am aware of the toxicity of H2S, I have, however, worked with it before.
If I recall correctly, it has a similar degree of toxicity with HCN, and the problem is, low concentrations make themselves known by the eggy stench, but quickly overwhelm the sense of smell, leading the not-so-careful or inexperienced experimenter to believe that the H2S has gone away.

I will of course make sure that I have a brand new canister on my gas mask, to protect against H2S, phosphine and diphosphine, I am not so worried about the higher phosphorus hydrides, although probably highly toxic they are both brightly colored, and solid.

I think, if working with phosphine, H2S is the least of one's worries, as I will certainly be taking the utmost care, using a scrubbing system to bubble the residual PH3 and H2S through absorbent chemicals and eliminate entirely, any possibility of venting into the atmosphere.

Tetrahedrite

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004, 09:09:10 PM »
I don't know very much about this topic, but if you do manage to make elemental P, won't it react straight away with the heated water, or have I misunderstood and you are using the hot water external to the reaction?

Limpet Chicken

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2004, 09:22:51 PM »
I doubt WP will react with hot water, unless it boils and air is expelled out, ideally the water would be preboiled to expel dissolved gases to maximise yield.

White P definately does NOT react with water, I keep mine in a milk bottle under water actually, phosphorus is usually stored under water to prevent it doing its whole spontaneous combustion party-piece ;D

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 04:21:06 PM »
i think certain soil minerals can absorb H2S on its surface..
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links