April 20, 2024, 08:27:28 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help me understand the statement.  (Read 1540 times)

Offline IBM

• Mole Snacks: +0/-7
Help me understand the statement.
« on: September 12, 2018, 01:51:36 PM »
The statement is 'If all p orbitals are half filled, then there are 3 equivalent electrons (one in each p orbital, and all with the same spin, let's say it's "up"). If all the p orbitals are filled then there are two sets of 3 equivalent electrons (the three "up" electrons can exchange, and the three "down" electrons can exchange.)''
Source:https://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=74745.0 the thread title 'Why are the half-filled and fully filled orbitals more stable?
My question is that 'What do you mean by 'there are two sets of 3 equivalent electrons? As I know there are three sets of electrons in p orbitals. Could you let me clarify it, please?

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: Help me understand the statement.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 02:42:06 PM »
In the given link its clearly explained. The electrons with same spin can be exchanged easily. Different spin need energy to change to the same spin.

Offline IBM

• Mole Snacks: +0/-7
Re: Help me understand the statement.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 09:27:11 PM »
In the given link its clearly explained. The electrons with same spin can be exchanged easily. Different spin need energy to change to the same spin.
Still, I am unable to understand. Could you simplify the point with a diagram please so that I can understand easily?

Sponsored Links