April 23, 2024, 02:03:34 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question regarding Ammonia  (Read 3052 times)

Offline Z500

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Question regarding Ammonia
« on: October 05, 2018, 10:05:05 PM »
Hi,

I'm having a hard time finding information on this and have searched the internet many times with no luck. I’m in a self-employment program and the path for the business I chose to start is the manufacturing of ammonia based smelling salts directed towards the fitness/sports industry (powerlifting, crossfit, etc), but in bottle form as opposed to the traditional snap open ampule type. I have done enough research to know that the ammonia gas is produced when water is added to a mixture of ammonium chloride and sodium carbonate, so basically I’m just trying to confirm if this is correct along with a few other things.
•   Is the sodium carbonate and ammonium chloride a simple 1:1 ratio? (E.g. 1 tablespoon each) Someone told me before it's not that simple, so I'm wanting to make 100% sure.
•   Are there any additional products I would need to add to it? I’ve seen the ingredients on the ampules contain 15% alcohol USP, but unsure if this would be necessary for bottle form?

Thanks kindly in advance,

Quinn

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: Question regarding Ammonia
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 03:37:38 AM »
In mass you can use the ratio 1:1 because 2 mol NH4Cl 2 * 52,5g = 105 g )and 1 mole Na2CO3 (106 g) can react.

But I think easier would be to buy ammonium bi carbonate. Its a baking  salt, this smells automatically of ammonia.

Offline Z500

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 10:26:57 AM »
chenbeier Thank you for the reply. Is ammonium bi carbonate already a pre mixture of sodium carbonate and ammonium chloride? I'm just trying to make sure the solution I choose will be effective and safe as it will need a pre market review and I don't know enough about chemistry to be fiddling around with ratios of ammonium chloride and sodium carbonate. Would the 1:1 ratio be strong enough to cause burning to someone's lungs if inhaled?

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 10:42:19 AM »
No: Ammonium bi carbonate you can buy in a baking shop or probably also in supermarket. It is safe and release at 36° C = 96,8° F Ammonia. The micture what you choose will be a chemical reaction and can release a lot of ammonia if it get wet, of course it can harm somebodies eyes and lungs.

Offline Z500

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 12:15:53 PM »
I was thinking of buying sodium carbonate and ammonium chloride in bulk to save costs and use a 1/4 tablespoon ratio for each

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 02:33:56 PM »
How are the smelling salts used? It should define amounts required and help with choosing a way of packing/applying.

I am afraid without some minimum knowledge of chemistry and physics involved chances of designing a reasonable product are close to zero.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Z500

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 04:47:36 PM »
They would be used in the fitness industry. Many powerlifters/crossfit folk use them. As long as I get the correct ratio, it is pretty much the same for mass production

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 03:33:07 AM »
I know where they are used, I am asking about HOW they are used. I doubt it is as trivial as just a matter of a correct ratio.

Will you be making small samples for a single use, or larger ones for multiple use? How are you going to control amount of water added to keep the speed with which the ammonia is released consistent from sample to sample? Then, how large will the samples of the mixture be? The larger the sample, the higher the pressure build up. How large will be the ampule/bottle and how large pressure can it sustain?

Chances are some of these problems are actually not important and can be ignored, but you should be 1. aware of their existence, 2. be able to check them. Are you?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links