April 20, 2024, 05:15:42 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Existing research on changing colour of blood observed through spectrescopy  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Egyptian

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hey guys,

so we have a group assignment at the moment:
"Blood looks blue in our veins but is clearly red when we cut ourselves. Consider the spectroscopy of the different states of the molecule (X) that gives colour to our blood and design some experiments to determine the roles of oxygen, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, and skin in changing the apparent colour of blood."

so I thought it would be a good idea to read up on existing research/experiments on this topic however through googling and using the library search function, I've struggled to find relevant information/experiments regarding this toping so I was wondering if you guys could help point me in the right direction 

cheers

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Do you know what molecule binds oxygen?  Within this molecule, do you know what prosthetic group is most directly involved in interacting with oxygen.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Maybe spectroscopy literature is already too specialized to provide the wanted comprehension elements. What about first-aid or medicine literature about human blood?

Blue in veins: I suppose this results from the veins, and healthy human blood is always red. Just lighter red and darker red.

I add "human" because the Octopus has completely different molecules in blood to transport oxygen and dioxide.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
@OP, It is a forum rule that you must show us your attempt at answering a question before we can help you.  Have you looked in a bioinorganic textbook, for example?

Sponsored Links