April 20, 2024, 01:26:45 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: making glassy carbon  (Read 1339 times)

Offline yillin

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
making glassy carbon
« on: November 01, 2018, 03:57:36 PM »
Hello!

I've been experimenting with trying to create a layer of glassy (vitreous) carbon onto different types of materials (graphite, ceramic, etc.).  I'm using 98% Furfuryl Alcohol with Oxalic Acid as a catalyst.  I've typically never use more than 2-5% by weight of the catalyst.

I've looked through a bunch of research papers but I guess I don't understand what I'm looking at when I see the reaction take place.  Many times papers talk about curing the polyfurfuryl (FA + OX) at temperature (around 300-400 degrees C).  Well, when I attempt to do that, at around 280 degrees F (not a typo) the PFA violently reacts and turns into a big black smelly mushroom.  I'm trying to figure out a way to thicken up the PFA solution so it coats dipped items well because FA by itself it too watery and just seems to slip off objects and thus no longer leaves a layer to be cured into it for a nice glassy carbon layer.

Has anyone attempted trying to put a glassy carbon layer onto an object successfully?  What was your process if you did?  Thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links