Specialty Chemistry Forums > Other Sciences Question Forum

Question about plastic storage box (not for food)

(1/2) > >>

kenny1999:
Hello

I'd like to know, I am purchasing a large amount of plastic storage box (not intended for food), made in China. What are they usually made of ?
The storage box is transparent in color. When I open them new, I smell a sudden "plastic" smell coming out. But the smell goes away quickly. Is it safe or not good?

mike5:
Hi Kenny. Generally speaking, the international packaging community has settled on 3 types of materials, namely polyethylene, Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene(ABS) and polystyrene. The fact that it is translucent indicates that it may come from the ethylene-polymer group, in which case, you could expect that your boxes would be made from low density poly ethylene (LDPE). There are quite a few ways to identify plastics

kenny1999:

--- Quote from: mike5 on November 03, 2018, 10:58:54 AM ---Hi Kenny. Generally speaking, the international packaging community has settled on 3 types of materials, namely polyethylene, Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene(ABS) and polystyrene. The fact that it is translucent indicates that it may come from the ethylene-polymer group, in which case, you could expect that your boxes would be made from low density poly ethylene (LDPE). There are quite a few ways to identify plastics

--- End quote ---

Hi, from the label sticker on the box, it's made of "PP" . Wht does PP stand for? Is it a good plastic for container?

And I often see some plastic container advertised as "food grade" , is there any particular type of plastic used to make "food grade" box

Borek:

--- Quote from: kenny1999 on November 03, 2018, 11:55:17 PM ---Hi, from the label sticker on the box, it's made of "PP" . Wht does PP stand for? Is it a good plastic for container?
--- End quote ---

Most likely polypropylene. Check its properties in wikipedia.

--- Quote ---And I often see some plastic container advertised as "food grade" , is there any particular type of plastic used to make "food grade" box
--- End quote ---

In general - no. Food grade means it is safe for storing food, many plastics fit (assuming they were prepared in a right way).

kenny1999:

--- Quote from: Borek on November 04, 2018, 03:35:53 AM ---
--- Quote from: kenny1999 on November 03, 2018, 11:55:17 PM ---Hi, from the label sticker on the box, it's made of "PP" . Wht does PP stand for? Is it a good plastic for container?
--- End quote ---

Most likely polypropylene. Check its properties in wikipedia.

--- Quote ---And I often see some plastic container advertised as "food grade" , is there any particular type of plastic used to make "food grade" box
--- End quote ---

In general - no. Food grade means it is safe for storing food, many plastics fit (assuming they were prepared in a right way).

--- End quote ---

They were prepared in a right way? Sorry what does that mean?

If they were prepared in a right way, what possible things could happen? Breaking into tiny pieces more easily? How about PP ? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version