March 28, 2024, 09:37:58 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How can I seperate citric acid from phosphoric acid in diet pepsi  (Read 1635 times)

Offline born2dive00

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Hello all

I have a quick question, I am trying to find out the amount of citric acid in diet pepsi. Now this is relatively easy for soft drinks that do not have phosphoric acid such as 7up, and sprite, using sodium hydroxide NaOh.

However if I understand my limited chemistry correctly, NaOH will react with the both the citric acid forming tri sodium citrate, and the phosphoric acid forming Tri Sodium Phosphate is this correct?

If this is correct what do i do to seperate these 2 acids to determine only the amount of the citric acid?

Please let me know, the simpler the better
Thanks
Brad

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: How can I seperate citric acid from phosphoric acid in diet pepsi
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 03:11:57 AM »
Not trivial at all.

You can determine sum of the acids with titration and then either citric acid (no quick idea how) or phosphoric acid (by precipitating it).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: How can I seperate citric acid from phosphoric acid in diet pepsi
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 09:51:35 AM »
As a rough concept, I would take advantage that the first ionization of one is about 10 times more efficient than the other (pKa citric acid ~3.15, pKa phosphoric acid ~2.15. Create a situation where one is ionized and the other isn't, and then exploit that as a means of separation (e.g., through a membrane).
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links