April 25, 2024, 06:51:52 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Colour of Cresol Red indicator  (Read 2134 times)

Offline browniee

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Colour of Cresol Red indicator
« on: November 18, 2018, 08:05:27 AM »
Does anyone know the colour of cresol red indicator when i -
1) Add it into an unknown concentration of HCL
2) Colour once i neutralise the HCL using NaOH by titration ?

Also, usually how many drops of this indicator are used to add into the analyte ?
is 2 drops enough ? or do i need 2mL ? Does it matter? Thanks .

This is for my experiment test on titration and i cant find the information online.

Offline browniee

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Colour of Cresol Red indicator
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 08:08:40 AM »
Also, i wanted to add -> i need to put the unknown concentration of HCL into the conical flask. Lets say i perform an accurate experiment, does the volume of HCL that i add to the conical flask change my readings for the concentration of HCL at the end when i calculate ?
?
Is it no ? this means i can add 30ml or even 100ml, i will still get the same concentration at the end with accurate titration ?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Colour of Cresol Red indicator
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 10:47:35 AM »
Just googling for "cresol red color" gave me the answer to your question.

That is - it gave me about as accurate answer as possible, as there is really not enough data to tell, as the color depends on the pH and pH depends on the initial concentration you don't know.

does the volume of HCL that i add to the conical flask change my readings for the concentration of HCL at the end when i calculate ?

Strictly speaking it doesn't matter as long as you account for the initial volume in the calculations. See here how to choose the reasonable volume: http://www.titrations.info/titrant-and-sample-volume
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links