April 19, 2024, 06:15:07 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: A question about Cetyl caprylate  (Read 1345 times)

Offline juliabrito

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
A question about Cetyl caprylate
« on: November 27, 2018, 06:29:27 PM »
Hello there! I have a very stupid question so I apologize in advance, but I literally just joined the forum so I could maybe understand this. English is not my native language so I hope there's not too many mistakes.

To give a little background, I'm trying to buy a specific type of product (basically a cleansing oil to remove make up) that is palm oil free. My knowledge of chemistry is very limit so I've searched for all the alternative names for palm oil in order to check the ingredient's list. The longest list I've found is this one: https://www.palmoilinvestigations.org/names-for-palm-oil.html

And this is the list of ingredients of this particular product I'm willing to buy:

Mineral Oil
Cetyl caprylate
PEG-20 Glyceryl Triisostearate
Polysorbate 20
Water
Fragrance
Citrus Paradisi Fruit Extract
Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract
Saccharum Officinarum Extract

Cetyl caprylate isn't on the list I linked above and I didn't find it on any other lists I've consulted. But I've googled it and it says Cetyl caprylate is an ester of cetyl alcohol and caprylic acid - which for what I understand, are palm oil derivatives. So this is supposed to be something that is basically made from palm oil as well? Is there another origin for Cetyl Caprylate?

Thank you!

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: A question about Cetyl caprylate
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 07:01:03 PM »
Hexadecyl octanoate is produced synthetically in quite large amounts and is used in cosmetics.
AWK

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: A question about Cetyl caprylate
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 09:29:55 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetyl_alcohol
"Modern production is based around the reduction of palmitic acid, which is obtained from palm oil"

Palmitic acid exists in many other oils but palm oil contains more and is cheaper, so for a producer it's an obvious choice.

And I'd say: other compounds could replace cetyl caprylate, but this one was chosen because palm oil leads to cheap cetyl alcohol.

Sponsored Links