Specialty Chemistry Forums > Citizen Chemist

Can i use PH meter to test coolant PH?

(1/3) > >>

xchcui:
Hi.

I saw on the web several cheap ph meters that are advertised as suitable for checking  PH of portable water,swimming pools,aquarium,food,beverage,in school laboratories etc.They usually come with ph buffer powder for calibration.On the attached photo you may see two types:the upper one is calibrated by a screwdriver (potentiometer) and the one below is calibrated automatic by the buttons.screwdriver(potentiometer) and the other is calibrated automatic by the buttons.
I know,according to wikipedia,that the ph meter:

--- Quote ---...measures the hydrogen-ion activity in water-based solutions, indicating its acidity or alkalinity expressed as pH.The pH meter measures the difference in electrical potential between a pH electrode and a reference electrode, and so the pH...
--- End quote ---
Can this type(as in the photo)of PH meter be used to check
antifreeze/coolant 50/50(50% water/50% ethylene glycol)and give an accurate ph results?

Thanks.

chenbeier:
I think it can, but why you need the pH in a coolant, there normaly no acids in. What is a  right pH in a coolant.  The glycol is a kind of alcohol.

xchcui:
The PH value depends at the type of the coolant and it can be found in the coolant datasheet.If the PH decrease below a certain value(glycol breakdown),galvanic corrosion may happens.But this is not exactly the purpose of my question,i would like to focus on the PH meter,please.

Borek:
Measuring pH of a solution that is only partially water is rather tricky - depending on the electrode it may give completely unreliable results.

xchcui:

--- Quote from: Borek on December 01, 2018, 04:47:32 PM ---Measuring pH of a solution that is only partially water is rather tricky - depending on the electrode it may give completely unreliable results.

--- End quote ---
What about measuring ph of that partially water solution with PH strips?Are the pH strips a better option or will they experience the same
unreliable results as the pH meter?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version