March 28, 2024, 05:38:15 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Publication  (Read 3748 times)

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
Publication
« on: December 27, 2018, 04:56:48 PM »
I want to publish my work, probably this year. I buy analysis since I dont have these instruments in my lab. It would be best if it was OK with just proton-NMR and microanalysis for the new compounds. The compounds are not complicated and it would be enough to prove the structure. On the other end I want a quality publication.
I have looked at acs like JACS, JOC and organic letters but they demand C13-NMR and sometimes also HPLC, this would be to expensive. What about Tetrahedron Letters, in the guidelines for authors its not exactly clear what they demand? I would very much want your thoughts on this, where do I get the best quality magazine with as little analysis as possible? My work is a new type of protecting group with unique stability for acidic and basic conditions.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: Publication
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 05:08:14 PM »
I would not go to tet letters, they get used as the butt of jokes for irreprpducible results.

What you need is hi-res mass spec, not HPLC per se.

This is, unfortunately the cost of doing business and proving you indeed have the compounds you claim when publishing in the more respectable organic chemistry journals.

Usually HNMR and FTIR is sufficient when the purpose of a paper is not purely organic chemistry (such as a materials science paper in Macromolecules).

If it's really good, perhaps look at Angewandte? I published a materials sci paper there that included some simple synthesis and they did not make me get a HRMS. I think a carbon may still be requested by reviewers, and may frankly be a plain good idea.

If you get it published, let us know here! Protecting group chem is always nifty!

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 08:39:01 PM »
Thanx wildfyr.
Carbon is much more expensive then proton, I have that for some compounds but not all.
HRMS is even more expensive, around 350USD/sample.
Your input on different journals is exactly what I want, so tet.lett is no good then.
I will check out Angewandte.
How about Tetrahedron?

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 10:04:13 PM »
Thanx wildfyr.
Carbon is much more expensive then proton, I have that for some compounds but not all.
HRMS is even more expensive, around 350USD/sample.
Your input on different journals is exactly what I want, so tet.lett is no good then.
I will check out Angewandte.
How about Tetrahedron?

350?!  :o We pay under 20 per sample for MALDITOF HRMS.I think it's worth it to contact other universities/companies for cheaper services. I have seen papers in Org Lett with protons and mass without carbon nmrs.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 10:53:56 PM »
Tetrahedron is also a pretty low impact journal. Without knowing your research I guess it's hard for me to figure out what level of journal it deserves. Usually you aim high then work your way down. Angewandte is Europe's JACS for reference.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 10:08:26 AM »
phth,
Can you give me contact information to this analysis service, please? Are you sending samples from university it can be lower price, I am in industry.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 10:37:10 AM »
wildfyr,

I checked Angewandte and it is really nice quality work. It seems to be a mix of very different papers. I can not find what analysis is necessary though?

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 11:41:19 AM »
Some journals have things set in stone, others don't. Angewandte is such a general journal that they don't have strict requirements. If you really feel that just an HNMR proves you have the molecules you claim, then it may be good enough for them.

Can I admit ignorance here: what is "microanalysis" in a chemistry context? Elemental ratios?

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 12:36:20 PM »
Elemental analysis such as C,H,N. I think this is more respected then HRMS since it gives the purity as well as confirms the formula.

Offline OrganicDan96

• Mole Snacks: +20/-1
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 12:19:17 PM »
i once had an NMR expert tell me that he has published noval structures without 13C NMR, i think you would need a good reason not to have it though, like not enough compound, not soluble enough ect.

Offline Flatbutterfly

• Mole Snacks: +7/-0
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 07:40:11 PM »
Consider contacting a professor at a nearby research-intensive university that works in the area.  Enquire whether she/he would be interested in collaboration on your project.  Stress at the beginning that he/she and graduate student would be a co-authors, but you would remain the senior author.  Do not divulge any specific details of your project until he/she has signed on.
A paper without C-13 data will probably not get published in a reputable journal.  Once you have the data discuss with your collaborator where it should be submitted (aim high).  I suggest JOC.
Good luck!

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 06:05:28 AM »
I have considered a colaboration but I feel this is my idea and I have done all the work, at the moment I have synthezised 190 unique compounds in the project and it would be wrong to put someone elses name on the paper just because of some carbon nmr spectra. I think it was JOC who demanded HPLC on all new compounds and this is a lot of work. Organic Letters demanded DEPT-NMR and that is more acceptable.
What I here now from you is that it is difficult without carbon NMR and that is probably something I will have to get regardless of wich journal I choose.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2018, 10:25:42 AM »
I have to say, this isn't just an annoying loophole to prove you really made something you claim. I genuinely use the NMRs in papers (the spectra not just the listing of peaks) when trying to evaluate compounds that are similar to what is in the paper but still novel.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2018, 10:57:55 AM »
I agree, if I could afford it I would include carbon and also carbon-proton 2D spectra. I have this for my more complex molecules. When I was working in big pharma like AstraZeneca I published a few papers in J.Med.Chem, then I had NMR instruments in the department and this was no problem.

Offline Flatbutterfly

• Mole Snacks: +7/-0
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 05:55:29 PM »
You have 190 samples!  This would make a perfect undergraduate research project: obtaining the C-13 spectra and analyzing them.   
It would be made clear in the Experimental that the cmpds were synthesized at your institution; C-13 spectra obtained at the second institution.  You would have the asterisk next to your name as senior author.  It is also relatively easier to get funding for industry/academic collaboration.
You know your work demands C-13 NMR data so go for it.

Sponsored Links