March 28, 2024, 01:41:14 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Expiry date of drugs  (Read 2410 times)

Offline mana

• Mole Snacks: +3/-3
Expiry date of drugs
« on: December 15, 2018, 06:01:44 AM »
hi all
on drugs package always it has been written to keep away from light and heat, is it because radical reactions? I mean is it possible to occur radical reaction in room temperature and sun light? and also how a manufacture can define the best expiry date?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Expiry date of drugs
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 06:01:05 PM »
Elevated temperature always speeds up decomposition, no matter what the exact mechanism is.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 08:50:33 AM »
There hasn't already been an expiry date on drugs. Where I lived, Law changed maybe 3 decades ago, forcing the manufacturers to print a date.

Light and heat: many organic compounds, biologic or not, undergo reactions around room temperature, with light or without. Food rots, chlorophyll operates, linseed oil hardens in air, and most plastics get destroyed by sunlight. Among the radical reactions that start at room temperature with light, you may know H2+Cl2.

Offline mana

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 02:51:23 PM »
There hasn't already been an expiry date on drugs. Where I lived, Law changed maybe 3 decades ago, forcing the manufacturers to print a date.
thanks, which country are you living? it seems very strength to me :o why the expiry date is not important ? so you mean that expired drugs are not dangerous?

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 10:03:20 AM »
Time alters some drugs, others not. I'd confidently take stable iodine KI stored for 30 years. Putting a expiry date on all of them is exaggerated.
[...] So you mean that expired drugs are not dangerous?
Your health, you decide.

Offline mana

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 08:28:55 AM »
Time alters some drugs, others not. I'd confidently take stable iodine KI stored for 30 years. Putting a expiry date on all of them is exaggerated.
[...] So you mean that expired drugs are not dangerous?
Your health, you decide.
thanks and sorry as the last question :) is there any way to distinguish which drugs will alert with time and which one does not?
I mean for example the mass spectrometry, fragmentation of the chemical structure of drugs can help?

Sponsored Links